Club History 2013


MINOR “A” FOOTBALL: Competing in the “A” grade, they beat Anner Gaels (St Patricks and Fethard combination), lost to  Ardfinnan, Cahir and Moyle Rovers and conceded a walkover to Commercials in the final game.

U/21 FOOTBALL: We lost to Ballyporeen with a team with a young age profile. 14 of the starting 15 underage again next year and six of them still Minor.

SENIOR FOOTBALL – COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP: We drew with J.K Brackens, beat  Mullinahone and Moycarkey comprehensively and met Loughmore-Castleiney in the final round. Loughmore proved difficult opponents and ran out victors by 2-16 to 0-6.

We qualified for the Preliminary Quarter Final against Galtee Rovers in New Inn. Kilsheelan had lots of possession at the opening stages and went on to lead by seven points. But the second quarter belonged to Rovers and they cut the deficit to 0-8 to 0-6 at the break.

Paul Maher and Michael Mc Hugh had points on the restart. Going into the last quarter there was increasing pressure on the Kilsheelan defence which was finally breached by substitute Mark O’Brien in a crowded goalmouth to raise the only green flag of the game and the lead for the first time in the dying moments to win on a scoreline of 1-10 to 0-10.

TEAM: John Smyth, David Corcoran, Willie Ryan, Shane Prendergast, Bill Maher, Adrian Mc Guire, James Geraghty, Tommy Ryan, Eoin Ryan, Michael Mc Hugh 0-4, Conor Davin Murphy 0-1, Pakie Larkin 0-1, Paul Maher 0-2, Adrian Walsh 0-1 and Jimmy Ryan 0-1.

SUBS: Ross Larkin and Paul Denn

SOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP: In the first round of the championship Moyle Rovers were our opponents. Michael Mc Hugh, Paul Maher and Adrian Walsh pointed Kilsheelan to an interval lead of 0-8 to 1-1 following good teamwork.

Willie Ryan repelled a Rovers attack. Moyle Rovers were dominant in the third quarter but failed to capitalise. The deficit was reduced to the minimum when Moyle Rovers had a goal. In the next attack David Corcoran, from corner back, ran the length of the field with determination and sent over the bar and the final score came was a pointed free by Michael Mc Hugh as Kilsheelan won by 0-14 to 2-5.

TEAM: John Smyth, David Corcoran 0-1, Willie Ryan, Shane Prendergast, Bill Maher 0-1, Tommy Ryan, James Geraghty, Adrian Mc Guire, Eoin Ryan, Ross Larkin, Jimmy Ryan 0-1, Pakie Larkin (Capt), Michael Mc Hugh 0-7, Adrian Walsh 0-3 and Paul  Maher 0-1.

SUB: Conor Davin Murphy and John Kehoe.

Kilsheelan had three points to spare over champions Killenaule in the Semi Final. Killenaule, lining out without the suspended Declan Fanning, had the better of the early exchanges racing into a four point lead after twelve minutes. Kilsheelan eventually got off the mark and led at the break by 0-5 to 0-4.

From the restart Kilsheelan, despite incessant drizzle making ground conditions slippy, continued where they left off and were the better side in the second half as they went on to victory by 0-9 to 0-6.

TEAM: John Smyth, David Corcoran, Willie Ryan, Shane Prendergast, Conor Davin Murphy, Adrian Mc Guire, James Geraghty, Tommy Ryan, Eoin Ryan 0-1, Bill Maher, Jimmy Ryan 0-1, Pakie Larkin 0-1, John Kehoe, Adrian Walsh 0-4 and Paul Maher 0-2.


SUB: Edward Sweeney for John Kehoe, Kevin Larkin for David Corcoran.

The South Final took place in Monroe, Kilsheelan would have entered the fray as underdogs against the reigning County champions Clonmel Commercials but they reached the Final on merit and hopes were high of an upset after a 30 year wait.

This was a low scoring encounter with two Michael Mc Hugh points from frees and a Jimmy Ryan effort from play the only return in the first half as Kilsheelan were in arrears by 0-4 to 0-3 at the break.

Commercial’s Martin Quinlivan, who was very effective in the second half, proved a handful for Kilsheelan. Two pointed frees were posted by Michael Mc Hugh and Adrian Walsh ended the scoring as his side failed to record an historic win by 1-12 to 0-6.

TEAM: John Smyth, David Corcoran, Willie Ryan, Shane Prendergast, Conor Davin Murphy, Adrian Mc Guire, James Geraghty, Tommy Ryan, Eoin Ryan, Bill Maher, Jimmy Ryan 0-1, Pakie Larkin (Capt), Michael Mc Hugh 0-4, Adrian Walsh 0-1 and Paul Maher.

SUBS: Kevin Larkin for James Geraghty, Ross Larkin for Bill Maher, John Kehoe for Jimmy Ryan and Edward Sweeney for Pakie Larkin.

MINOR HURLING:  In the opening round we played Carrick Swan but suffered defeat by  2-27 to 0-13.

In the second round we met Mullinahone in Ned Hall Park. Paul Maher rattled the net in the first minute. Kevin Kirwan registered his side’s second goal. Paul Maher, who worked tirelessly throughout but it was Mullinahone who led by 2-10 to 2-7 at the break

On the resumption Paul Maher, Tadgh Lonergan, Mark Kehoe and Kevin Kirwan were on the mark. Martin Gibbs sent a short free to the alert Kevin Kirwan who sent it over the bar for the lead for Kilsheelan. Tadgh Lonergan sent over the bar for victory by a two point margin of 2-19 to 3-14.

TEAM: Sean Ryan, John Smyth, Joe O’Neill, Aaron Larkin, Kevin Kehoe, Kevin Guiry, Daire Brennan, Martin Gibbs, Paul Maher 1-3, Mark Kehoe 0-5, Kevin Kirwan 1-4, David Smyth, Evan Quigley, Tadgh Lonergan 0-7 and Eoghan Kelly.

SUB: Edward Carroll

We lost to St Marys and Moyle Rovers  and beat Ballingarry.

In the Semi Final we met St Mary's.  Both teams exchanged points equally until the final five minutes of the opening half. St Mary's then got the upper hand and raced into a three point lead at the break by 0- 9 to 0-6.
St Mary's stretched their advantage to five points. Kilsheelan reacted well and from there to the finish, with Eoin Kehoe and Martin Gibbs taking control of the midfield area, they pushed forward and took the lead and went two points up with just three minutes remaining.
St Mary's went in search of a goal but the Kilsheelan defence held firm to come out on top by 0-16 to 0-14.

TEAM: Tadgh Lonergan, Sean Ryan, Kevin Guiry, Aaron Larkin, John Smyth, Kevin Kehoe, Daire Brennan, Martin Gibbs 0-3, Eoin Kehoe 0-9, Brendan Martin 0-2, David Smyth, Paul Maher 0-2, Paudie O’Donovan, Joe O'Neill and Mark Kehoe.

SUBS:  Brian Guiry and Eddie Carroll.

The South Final was played in Cloneen against Carrick Swan who won on a scoreline of 2-16 to 0-7

U/21 “B” HURLING: In the opening round of the championship Grangemockler-Davins were our opponents which we won by 2-16 to 0-8.

Next we faced Anner Gaels which ended all square on 0-10 each.

We met Moyle Rovers to earn a Semi Final spot. Alex Harte and Paudie O’Donovan had goals and with seven points by John Kehoe they led at the break by 2-7 to 1-5.

On the restart Kilsheelan maintained their interval cushion with points by John Kehoe and Alex Harte. Alex also got through for a third goal. Good teamwork and determined defending ensured victory on a scoreline of 3-12 to 1-9 and a place in the Semi Final.

TEAM: Tadgh Lonergan, Aaron Larkin, David Corcoran, Kevin Guiry, Kevin Guiry, Conor Davin Murphy, Johnny Ormonde, Eoin Kehoe, Paul Maher, John Kehoe 0-10, Adrian Mc Guire, Joe O’Neill, John Smyth, Alex Harte 2-2 and Paudie O’Donovan 1-0.

SUB: James Davin Murphy

In the Semi Final we played Cahir in Monroe. Scores by John Kehoe, Adrian Mc Guire, Alex Harte and Eoin Kehoe got on the scoresheet to leave it 0-11 to 03 at the interval.

On the restart Adrian Mc Guire raised the first green flag to ensure a Kilsheelan victory. They remained in control to win by 2-19 to 0-6.

TEAM: Tadgh Lonergan, Sean Ryan, David Corcoran, Kevin Larkin, Eoin Kehoe 0-1, Conor Davin Murphy, Aaron Larkin, Bill Maher 0-1, Paul Maher 0-1, John Kehoe 0-12, Adrian Mc Guire 1-1, Joe O’Neill, Johnny Ormonde, Alex Harte 0-2 and Paudie O’Donovan.

Skeheenarinky were our opponents in the South Final. We had the better of matters in the first half and led by 0-5 to 0-2 at the break.

In the final quarter the battle for supremacy was hotting up and slowly the physically stronger Skeeheen side drew level. The decisive point came when Tommy Sweeney sent over to give his side the advantage with just five minutes to go and when they added another it left them winning by 0-9 to 0-7.

TEAM: Tadgh Lonergan, Sean Ryan, David Corcoran, Aaron Larkin, Kevin Larkin, Eoin Kehoe, Kevin Guiry, Paul Maher, Adrian Mc Guire 0-1, John Kehoe 0-6, Bill Maher,  Joe O’Neill, Johnny Ormonde and Alex Harte for Paudie O’Donovan.

SUBS: John Smyth for Aaron Larkin and David Smyth for Paudie O’Donovan.

INTERMEDIATE HURLING – COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP: In the first round of the championship we took on Grangemockler-Ballyneale. A keenly contested game with the result in doubt right to the end.

Following goals by Alex Harte and Bill Maher we were in arrears by 0-12 to 2-5 at the break.

It was score for score in the second half as Grangemockler surged forward in the last ten minutes but the Kilsheelan defence held firm and secured the honours by the minimum on a scoreline of 2-17 to 2-16.

Next up were Sean Treacy’s. Alex Harte, Adrian Walsh, Bill Maher, Adrian Mc Guire and Niall Walsh had points for Kilsheelan but they trailed by 3-3 to 0-7 at the interval.

On the resumption Alex Harte, and second half substitutes Eoin Kehoe and Colin Gleeson were on the scoresheet but they were beaten by 3-9 to 0-12.

In the third round we went head to head with Arravale Rovers in Cahir. Colin Gleeson sent the ball crashing to the net for the game’s opening goal and Niall Walsh scored goal to leave his side in the ascendancy by 2-7 to 0-8.

On the restart Kilsheelan brought on Adrian Walsh who scored two points while Alex Harte added to his total. Arravale had a purple patch with ten minutes remaining when they scored 1-3 without reply which laid the foundation for their victory by of 2-16 to 2-10.

In the final round we took on Thurles Sarsfields in Cashel. Thurles played with the strong breeze in the first half. Kilsheelan had points form Alex Harte (4) and Bill Maher but were led at the break by 1-9 to 0-5.

Kilsheelan had the elements in their favour on the resumption and Alex Harte sent a free to the net. Paul Maher added another goal while Alex Harte, Eoin Kehoe and Bill Maher had points but it was not enough to stem the tide as they lost by 2-17 to 2-10.

TEAM: Ian Coughlan, David Corcoran, Jimmy Ryan, Kevin Larkin, Senan O’Halloran, Willie Ryan, Shane Prendergast, Bill Maher 0-2, Eoin Kehoe 0-1, Alex Harte 1-6, Conor Davin Murphy, Edward Sweeney, Paul Maher 1-1, Colin Gleeson and Pakie Larkin.

SUBS: Kevin Guiry, Johnny Ormonde, Barry Cloona and Kevin O’Donovan.

SOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP: We beat St Mary’s in the first round of the South by 2-13 to 2-7.

Ballybacon-Grange were the opposition in the Semi Final. Bill Maher (2), Alex Harte (4) Eoin Kehoe, Adrian Walsh, John Kehoe all got on the scoresheet for Kilsheelan.

Ballybacon’s had a goal from Aaron Cowan which left his side leading by 1-7 to 0-9.

On the resumption Tommy Ryan sent over from play. Kilsheelan, though reduced to fourteen men, maintained the pressure as Ballybacon extended their advantage to three points. Substitute Colin Gleeson sent over from play. Paul Maher linked up with Adrian Mc Guire to make inroads on Kilsheelan’s deficit. Niall Walsh latched on to a long delivery to get his name on the board but the final whistle sounded as his side lost by 1-14 to 0-15.

TEAM: Ian Coughlan, David Corcoran, Jimmy Ryan, Kevin Larkin, Conor Davin Murphy, Willie Ryan, Shane Prendergast, Eoin Kehoe 0-2, Tommy Ryan 0-1, Niall Walsh 0-1, Adrian Walsh 0-1, Bill Maher 0-2, John Kehoe 0-2, Alex Harte 0-4 and Pakie Larkin.

SUBS: Paul Maher, Adrian Mc Guire 0-1, Colin Gleeson 0-1 and Kevin Guiry.

This year was a very successful one for the Juvenile Club and this was celebrated with a medal presentation ceremony in Hotel Minella attended by parents, players and mentors. Inter county hurler Noel Mc Grath presented the medals.

The U/6 to U/10’s took part in many blitzes and challenge games.

The U/12 hurlers beat Ballybacon Grange in a thrilling South Final of the Premier Games by 5-4 to 2-2.

TEAM: John Carroll, Jack O’Loughlin, Lee Ryan, Adam Quigley, Billy O’Connor 0-1, Cathal Kelly, Jason Madigan 0-1, Barry Kehoe 1-1, Sean Freaney 2-1, Ben O’Connell 1-0, Jack O’Gorman 1-0, Daire Murphy, Sean Allison and Thomas Morrissey.

The U/14 Football team, in the “C” competition, successfully contested the South Final with victory over St Patricks by 5-12 to 4-3. They went on to take County honours with a comprehensive victory over Solohead on a scoreline of 2-12 to 2-0. This was a good all round team performance.

TEAM: Billy Murphy, Cillian Mc Hale, Cian Quinn, John O’Dwyer, Brian Flavin, Frank Mallekoote, Mark Stokes 0-2, Sean Martin 0-1, Billy OConnor 0-1, Cathal Kelly 0-2, Jamie Roche 1-1, Aaron Dempsey (Capt) 0-4 and Dylan Kiely 1-1.

SUBS: Jason Madigan for Aaron Dempsey, Shane Cosgrove for John O’Dwyer, Jack O’Gorman for Jamie Roche and Sean Freaney for Cathal Kelly.

The U/16 hurlers were also on the winner’s rostrum. After a gripping contest in the South Final they beat Carrick Swan by 4-13 to 5-9. A large crowd travelled to the County Final which was an exciting, committed display but alas Portroe won on a scoreline of 2-9 to 1-10.

TEAM: Aaron Dempsey, Frank Mallekoote, Kevin Kehoe, Mark Stokes, Aaron Fogarty, Daire Brennan, Evan Quigley, Martin Gibbs 0-5, Shane Egan, Eoghan Kelly, Brendan Martin 0-2, Eoghan Flavin, Sean Martin, Edward Carroll 1-0 and Mark Kehoe 0-3.

SUBS: Cian Quinn, Brian Guiry, Darragh Kelly.

The Summer Camp attracted 75 boys and girls.

Many of our boys were involved in Divisional Football and Hurling panels with success.

We thank Johnny Cummins, who has done Trojan work in our schools, for his input and wish him well on his retirement.

We congratulate Niamh Martin on winning the County Scor na Paisti for the second year in succession in Recitation and Tommy Mullins who won South Scor na Paisti in Solo Singing.

Detailed Report on all games available under Match Reports



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here