Ultimate Honour for Referee Seamus Roche 2004 – 2007


In 2004 the Minor Hurling team made little impression.

The U/21 Hurlers did well via the losers group but eventually lost out to Carrick Davins by 2-12 to 1-7.

The Junior Hurling team own their opening game. This was followed by a number of walkovers. Some of the best players were needed for the Intermediate team and after a long delay combined with a lack of match practise they lost to Cahir by 6-9 to 1-8.

The Intermediate Hurling team had nine outings including a three way play-off before losing to Carrick Davins by 0-14 to 1-7.

In Football the Minor team reached the Semi Final before losing by 1-8 to 0-7.

TEAM: Colm Sweeney, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Kieran White, Brian Richards, Tommy Ryan, Ken Hogan, Daire Corcoran, Eoin Ryan, Ciaran Gibbs, Michael Mc Hugh 0-6, Frank Strang 0-1, James Geraghty, Pa Walsh and Ian Coughlan.

SUBS: Pádraic Hickey for Stephen O’Brien, Niall Gibbs for Frank Strang and Ross Larkin for Ciaran Gibbs.

Having won the County “B” championship in 2003 the U/21 Football team had to move up to “A” level for the first time but they made little impression.

The Intermediate Football team entered the County League for the first time where they met teams from Cork and Waterford . They went through the County Division 2 of the League unbeaten. In the Final they defeated Emily by 1-15 to 0-3.

In the County championship Kilsheelan reached the Final where they played Killenaule. At no stage did they lead and were beaten by 0-11 to 0-6.

TEAM: Roger Doyle, Eddie O’Connell, Jimmy Ryan, Noel Ryan, William Larkin, Pakie Larkin, Martin Larkin, Willie Ryan, Eoin Ryan, Michael Mc Hugh 0-3, John Roche 0-1, Edward Sweeney, Keith O’Brien 0-2, Adrian Walsh and Pierce Larkin.

SUBS: Aidan Walsh for Pierce Larkin, Tommy Ryan for Eoin Ryan, and Michael Ryan for Keith O’Brien. The rest of the Panel included: David Power, Dan O’Connor, Oisin O Cuinneagain, Peter O’Connell, Niall Walsh and Johnny Cahill.

Seamus Roche was standby referee for the All Ireland Senior Hurling Final.

The South Senior Hurling and Football Finals were played in Kilsheelan. Much voluntary work was done in the week preceding it. Unfortunately it turned out to be one of the wettest days of the year.

Club President Jimmy Prendergast received a Sean Gael Award for his lifetime of service to the Club.

At Juvenile level most of the teams were playing at a level above their ability and it was hardly surprising here were no success. The U/16 Hurling team reached the Semi Finals but were beaten by Mullinahone.

The Panel on duty was: Donnchadh Corcoran, Miceal Corcoran, Colm Sweeney, Paul Kennedy, Naoise O Cuinneagain, Lorcan Ryan, Robert Henebry, Ross Larkin (Capt), James Geraghty, Donnacha Lonergan, Pádraic Hickey, Darren Mc Carthy, Michael Geraghty, Paul Denn, Damien Mc Carthy, Danny Harte, Riain O Cuinneagain, Shane Columby, David Ryan (Kilcash), Matthew Hantz and David Ryan (Dempseys X).

Ultimate Honour for Referee Seamus Roche

In 2005 the Minor Football team took part in the County League . Despite losing their opening match they qualified for the Final on St Patrick’s Day against Moycarkey-Borris. In an exciting match they ran out winners by 2-9 to 2-8.

TEAM: Colm Sweeney, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast (Capt.), Paul Kennedy, Eoin Twohig, Pádraic Hickey, Naoise O’Cuinneagain, James Geraghty, Darren Mc Carthy 0-1, Donnacha Lonergan 1-5, Paul Denn, Ian Coughlan 1-2, Conor Horgan, Niall Gibbs and Ross Larkin 0-1.

SUBS: Lorcan Ryan for Paul Kennedy, Ken Hogan for Naoise O’Cuinneagain and Robert Henebry for Conor Horgan.

In the championship they failed to match this form and never looked like serious contenders.

The Intermediate Football team started well in the championship but in the later stages they failed to strike form when beaten in the Semi Final by Mullinahone.

The Minor Hurling team reached the Semi Final against Ballybacon-Grange whom they had beaten earlier. On this occasion Ballybacon were at full strength and won by 5-11 to 0-5.

The U/21 Hurling team were beaten in the first round but through the losers group they won their way into the Semi Final. Despite giving a great display under very poor conditions they lost to St Mary’s by 2-5 to 2-4.

TEAM: Ian Coughlan, Michael Foley, Shane Prendergast, Colm Sweeney, Pádraic Hickey 0-1, Tommy Ryan, Lorcan Ryan, Niall Walsh, Eoin Ryan, David Hanrahan 1-0, Anthony Walsh, Senan O’Halloran 0-2, Ross Larkin 1-0, Keith Condon and James Geraghty 0-1.

SUB: Oisin O’Cuinneagain for Ross Larkin.

The Intermediate Hurling team made very little impression. They played four championship matches but lost them all.

It was a great honour for Club member Seamus Roche, and indeed all in the Club, when he refereed the All Ireland Hurling Final. His umpires were also Club members namely P J Condon, Gerry Henebry, Tommy Lonergan and Peter Moore.

For the second year in a row someone from the Club received a Sean Gael Award with the honour this time going to Tom Larkin.

On the Juvenile front the U/12 Football team reached the “B” Final but lost out to Carrick Swan by 1-5 to 0-3.

TEAM: David Smyth, Brian Grant, John Kehoe, Conor Tobin, Adrian Mc Guire, David Corcoran, Kevin Larkin, Bill Maher, Rowland Fitzpatrick, Colin Gleeson, Jamie Cronin, Kevin Kirwan, Eoin Kehoe, Conor Murphy 0-3 and Alex Harte.

SUB: Ruari Doyle.

The U/12 Hurling team reached the Final where they met Fethard whom they had met earlier and the game ended in a draw. On this occasion Fethard led all the way and won by 2-2 to 1-2. The team personnel were on similar lines to the football side.

SCORERS were: Jamie Cronin 1-0, Bill Maher and Colin Gleeson 0-1 each.

As part of the Tipperary Institute Munster Council Initiative the players and mentors were taken to Thurles for coaching. They were put through a very intensive coaching session in the many skills of the game by some well known coaches including Tipperary star Lar Corbett.

In all the other grades teams performed well but unfortunately did not reach the knockout stages.

In the Community Games Colin Gleeson won the National U/12 Long Puck competition when he drove the ball 74.60metres to claim the gold Medal.

In 2006 the Minor Football team did reasonably well in the “B” competition. A number of narrow defeats put paid to their chances of reaching the knockout stages.

The U/21 Football team reached the Semi final but lost out to Clonmel Og.

The Junior Football team needed to win their last match to reach the Semi Finals but failed to do so.

The Intermediate Football team was the year’s success story. They won their two opening matches, then hit a valley period and barely scraped through to the Semi Final where they defeated Ballyporeen 0-10 to 0-6.

In the South Final they met Mullinahone in Fethard. A goal by Adrian Walsh gave them a half time lead of 1-5 to 0-2. When play resumed Adrian Walsh had a further goal. Kilsheelan were very much in the driving seat. Despite a late rally by Mullinahone they held out for a 2-10 to 1-8 victory thereby regaining the Johnny Kehoe Cup after a three year absence.

TEAM: David Power, Martin Larkin, Willie Ryan, Colm Sweeney, Keith Robinson, Jimmy Ryan, Tommy Ryan, John Roche 0-1, Eoin Ryan 0-1, Richard Crotty, Adrian Walsh 2-2, Michael Mc Hugh 0-1, Keith O’Brien 0-3, Edward Sweeney 0-2 and Donnacha Lonergan.

SUBS: Pierce Larkin for Keith O’Brien and Christy Ryan for Colm Sweeney.

In the County Quarter Final at Fethard Kilsheelan were rocked by a first minute goal by Rockwell Rovers. At half time they were in arrears by 1-7 to 0-7. Playing their best football to date they went on to win by 0-15 to 1-9.

Scorers: Michael Mc Hugh 0-3, John Roche, Eoin Ryan, Richard Crotty, Adrian Walsh, Edward Sweeney and Pierce Larkin 0-2 each.

Again Fethard was the venue as Kilsheelan took on Thurles Sarsfields. Kilsheelan made a lightening start and had goals from Michael Mc Hugh and Adrian Walsh (penalty) and led by 2-7 to 0-3 at half time. A further goal by Edward Sweeney left Kilsheelan winners by 3-11 to 0-8.

Scorers: Michael Mc Hugh 1-5, Adrian Walsh and Edward Sweeney 1-2 each, John Roche and Richard Crotty 0-1 each.

The County Final against Mullinahone took place in Fethard and Kilsheelan were quietly confident of bridging the 36 year gap since the last Adult County Title. There was tremendous support for the team which far outnumbered Mullinahone. At half time Mullinahone led by 1-6 to 0-5. The Kickham side were much stronger physically. The second half was an uphill battle before we went down by 1-9 to 0-10.

TEAM: David Power, Keith O’Brien, Willie Ryan, Martin Larkin, Keith Robinson, Jimmy Ryan 0-1, Tommy Ryan, John Roche 0-1, Eoin Ryan, Pierce Larkin 0-1, Adrian Walsh 0-1 (Capt), Michael Mc Hugh 0-6, Richard Crotty, Edward Sweeney and Donnacha Lonergan.

SUB: Niall Cloona for Richard Crotty.

Selectors: Michael Power (Manager), Tommy Lonergan and Jim Healy.

The Minor Hurlers won their opening match in convincing fashion. It was downhill after that and they failed to reach the knockout stages.

The U/21 Hurling team were beaten in the first round against Moyle Rovers and in the losers group they also lost out.

The Junior Hurling team defeated Marlfield by 4-12 to 2-6 with Sean Nugent scoring 2-9. They also had a 6-22 to 0-1 victory over Clerihan. They beat Marlfield by 4-9 to 0-7. In the Semi final they lost out to St Mary’s by 2-10 to 1-8.

David Power, Paddy Nugent, John Larkin, Michael Dempsey, Dan O’Connor, Michael Ryan, Jason Fogarty, John Nolan, John Geraghty, Adrian Walsh 0-1, Richard Crotty, Edward Sweeney, Sean Nugent 0-6, Joe Ryan 0-1 & Donnacha Lonergan 1-0.

SUBS: Naoise O Cuinneagain for Michael Dempsey, Derek Kennedy for John Geraghty, Keith Robinson for Edward Sweeney and Ross Larkin for Richard Crotty.

The Intermediate Hurling team won only one of their three matches but still managed to get into a play-off. Their early victory was over Fr Sheehy’s but this time they lost to them by 1-11 to 1-9.

Finance: The Club’s biggest income is through the County Draw with over 420 members.

Membership: We had 118 Paid Up members this year.

This year Billy Stokes was the recipient of a Sean Gael Award for his lifetime service to the Club.

The Club has now got its own website with regular match reports and updates of club activities

The U/12 hurling team reached the “B” Semi Final but lost to Cahir in a great match after a replay.

In the U/14 “B” football Semi Final we lost to Carrick Swan by 3-9 to 4-1.

The U/14 Hurling team raised eyebrows when they defeated Carrick Swan by 2-6 to 2-2 at Cloneen. The Final was played at the same venue against Moyle Rovers. After an outstanding match in which fortunes swayed to and for a point by Stephen Ahearne gave Kilsheelan victory by the narrowest of margins.

TEAM: Adrian Mc Guire, Brian Grant, David Corcoran, Luke Hogan, Martin O’Dwyer (Capt), Kevin Larkin, Norman O’Shea, Bill Maher, John Kehoe 0-3, Colin Gleeson 1-0, Conor Murphy, Alex Harte, Dean Mulcahy ,Stephen Ahearne 0-1 and Jamie Cronin.

SUB: David Columby

In the County Semi Final despite putting up a great show they were well beaten by Borrisokane.

In the Cumann Na Bunscoil competition Kilsheelan defeated Kilkeary N.S. by 3-10 to 1-3 in Semple Stadium

TEAM: Tadgh Lonergan, Colin Gleeson, David Corcoran, William Lonergan, Bill Maher 1-3, John Kehoe 1-7, Lydia Ahearne, Eoin Kehoe, Finbar Horgan and Adam Hantz.

SUBS: Jamie Cronin 1-0, Cian Flavin, Sean Ryan, Riain Connolly, Kevin Kirwan, Paul Maher and James Murphy.

Detailed Reports of all games under Match Reports 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here