G. A. A. Centenary Year 1984 – 1987


1984 was the Centenary Year of the Association and the Club planned a number of ways to honour the event. It had strong ties with the Glen Club from Newry. They spent a weekend in Kilsheelan and they also played a game in both codes against Kilsheelan. To continue on this theme the Club planted an Ash Plantation in the Autumn. However, the Senior Football team, apart from a victory in the first round, never really featured. For the Intermediate Hurling team it was a year to remember. They had victories over Moyle Rovers and Mullinahone. Jim Kehoe, who had played with Carrick Davins for a number of years, was now back with the Club and inspired them to victory over Ballybacon-Grange. This was followed by victory over Cahir. In the Semi Final they had a surprise victory over Killenaule. Ballybacon-Grange were again Kilsheelan’s opponents in the Final but it was Kilsheelan’s day and they ran out winners by 4-8 to to 2-4. TEAM: Peter Moore, John Kehoe, Pat Larkin, Matt Cahill, Liam Corcoran, Timmy O’Connor, Pat O’Neill, Willie Whelan, James Holohan, Kevin Geraghty 1-1, William Robinson, Liam Stokes 2-5, Sean Nugent, Michael Kehoe 1-2 and Jim Kehoe.

SUBS: Cyril Robinson for Timmy O’Connor.

In the County Semi Final they met a Toomevara side where Senior hurling success was just around the corner and Kilsheelan were beaten by 2-19 to 1-7.

Tommy Lonergan was a County Minor Football Selector when Tipperary lost to Dublin in the All Ireland Final.

1985 was a quite year on the playing front. For the first time in a long number of years minor teams for both codes were fielded from its own resources.

Of the adult teams the hurlers faired best but lost their Intermediate crown to Killenaule in the Final. Liam Stokes won his second All Ireland Medal when the U/21 Hurling team defeated Kilkenny in the Final. Liam along with Pat Larkin helped Tipperary to a Munster Intermediate Hurling title but lost to Wexford in the Final.

Pat Larkin was declared South Tipperary Hurler of the Year.

The Newry Club returned the compliment by inviting Kilsheelan to Co Down for a most enjoyable weekend.

In 1986 the Intermediate Hurling team reached the Semi-Final against Killenaule and an injury hit side were beaten by 2-10 to 1-5. On the Football front Kilsheelan did not fair any better and were eliminated at an early stage.

Liam Stokes lined out with the County Football team, Munster Railway Cup Football side and the county Senior Hurling panel.

For the last number of years much work was going into the preparation of Juvenile teams. Despite winning no titles much was being done by Billy Stokes, Dave Kenneally, Fr Ray Reidy and Martin Nolan to name just a few.

1987 was a poor year for most of our teams. The Intermediate Hurling team defeated Fethard by 2-11 to 2-8. In the Semi Final they were victors over Marlfield by 4-11 to 3-4. In the Final they were no match for Cahir on a scoreline of 2-10 to 0-2.

The biggest achievement took place off the pitch. For a number of years there were suggestions that the Club should publish its history. A committee was formed chaired by Sean Nugent. Much of the material was sourced in the Nationalist. Many former players and supporters were interviewed and people were very forthcoming with relevant information. Photographs were also to be a major part of the publication. The Kilkenny People agreed to print the book. 1,500 copies were made available costing £10 (€12.70). There were also a limited number of hard backed copies at £15 (€19.05). The launch took place after 7.30 Mass in Gambonsfield Church on the 5th December. Chairman Sean Nugent was MC and gave an account of the work that led to this achievement. South and County Board officers were also in attendance. Later there was a social get together in the Community Hall. It was a nostalgic evening for all those in attendance.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here