First Kilsheelan Player to win All Ireland Minor Hurling Medal 1982 and 1983


In 1982 the Club took a trip to London at the Easter weekend. 57 travelled on a coach comprising of players and supporters. In the hurling game Brian Borus beat Kilsheelan but the tables were turned in the football game. On the football front Kilsheelan were easily beaten by Loughmore. They again reached the South Final but lost out to Commercials by 1-4 to 0-2. The Intermediate Hurling team again qualified for the Final but lost out to Fethard by 2-14 to 2-9 in a replay.

This was a year to remember for Liam Stokes who won an All Ireland Minor Hurling Medal with Tipperary.

Jim Kehoe won Hurler of the Year Award for South Tipperary.

In the period 1966 to 1986 Kilsheelan joined with Fethard on a regular basis at Minor, U/21 and Senior level and were known as St Augustines. A number of minor and U/21 football titles were won. The highlight for the U/21 side was the winning of the County U/21 title in 1966 when defeating Loughmore in the Final. On this occasion a number of Kilsheelan players played with Fethard under a gentleman’s agreement. They were Johnny Dempsey, Martin O’Gorman, Sean Nugent, William Robinson, Cyril Robinson and George Power. In the following years the Kilsheelan/Fethard combination featured very prominently in Senior Hurling and reached several South Finals. On a couple of occasions they were narrowly beaten in the Final. However, in 1982, it all came good for them. They started with a win over Carrick Davins and defeated Swan in a replay. In the Semi Final they triumphed over Ballygarry by 4-13 to 3-4. The Final against St Mary’s took place at Davin Park . On that occasion St Mary’s had the services of Limerick natives Mossie & Brian Carroll and were the favourites. An outstanding display by Jim Kehoe was instrumental in this historic victory by 4-12 to 2-7

TEAM: Stephen Mc Cormack, Davy Morrissey, Pat Larkin, John Kehoe, Pat O’Neill, Sean Nugent, Jerry Kehoe, A B Kennedy 0-2 , Pakie Harrington, Jim Kehoe 2-5, Maurice Harrington, Jim Downes 0-2, Cyril Robinson 0-1, Davy Fitzgerald 2-1 and Liam Stokes 0-1. Subs: Michael Kehoe and Liam Mc Carthy.

The Senior Football team started off 1983 with victories over Eire Og, Brian Borus, and Moyle Rovers in the South championship. This qualified them for the Final against Fethard. The Blues were favourites to win. At one stage they led by 1-6 to 0-3. Kilsheelan sparked off a comeback when Jerry Kehoe had a goal from a penalty and they went on to win by 1-11 to 1-10.

TEAM: Tommy Lonergan, Martin Moran, Pat Larkin, Johnny Fitzpatrick, Liam Corcoran, Liam Murphy 0-1, Johnny Ormonde, Liam Stokes, Kevin Geraghty 0-2, John Larkin, Jerry Kehoe 1-4, Tommy O’Connor, Martin Ormonde 0-1, John Kehoe 0-2 and William Robinson 0-1.

SUB: Michael Kehoe for John Larkin.

In the County championship Kilsheelan lost to old rivals Loughmore by three points. The following were appointed County Selectors , Fr Ray Reidy Senior Hurling, Billy Stokes Minor Hurling and Tommy Lonergan Minor Football. In the opening round of the Intermediate Hurling championship Kilsheelan had a 5-7 to 0-8 win over Mullinahone but lost to Killenaule by 1-9 to 1-7 in the Semi Final.

TEAM: Peter Moore, Liam Corcoran, Pat Larkin, Matt Cahill, Michael Kehoe, Timmy O’Connor, Jerry Kehoe 0-1, Pat O’Neill, Liam Murphy, Liam Stokes 1-6, William Robinson, John Larkin, Cyril Robinson, Michael Kehoe and Sean Nugent.

In the Senior Hurling championship, holders St Augustines, won their opening round but lost to Eire Og (a Killenaule-Mullinahone combination) in the Semi Final. In the Minor Football Final St Augustines defeated Commercials by 2-6 to 0-5. Kilsheelan players were: Derek Ryan, Eric Larkin and Pat Sullivan.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here