Under 8 Liam Connolly Memorial Tournament


Kilsheelan Kilcash competed in the Liam Connolly memorial Under 8 hurling blitz in Fethard on Saturday morning (24/9/16).  The rain bucketed down before the start but held off during the matches.  It didn’t stop our team having a celebratory slide in the muddy goals after a great victory in the B Cup final.  They thoroughly deserved their fun having performed superbly in all four of their matches.


With a puck out like Darren Gleeson Dylan Kirwan was in top form in goal, he saved certain goals and cleared his line time and time again.  He was supported bravely by his back line, especially full back Conor Freany who put his body on the line with block after block.  Stout defenders Adam Blanchfield, Jack Phelan and Shane Madigan blocked hooked and cleared everything all day.  Aaron McAndrew was our Centre half back and he commanded that area of the field showing all the skills of an accomplished hurler.  Midfielders Tristan O’Connor, Colin Roche and Sean Hughes worked so hard we thought we’d have to give them a break but they turned around and rose it again every time.  All 3 played as well as any hurler on the day.  Centre forwards Fred French Davis and Cyril Robinson hit and kicked the ball the length of the field several times and always carried the ball forward when we needed it.  Romy Condon, Devin McGuire and Faye Lavin were our Full forwards and their movement was something Eamon O’Shea would be proud of, they worked extremely hard and were involved in all of our scores, Faye scoring a well deserved goal.


Killenaule were the opposition for the first match and it proved to be a most entertaining and competitive game.  Fred scored the goal of the tournament, after carrying the ball through a ruck, surrounded, on the ground and facing the wrong direction, he flicked the ball to the net like a hurling version of a bicycle kick.  Fethard were up next and after a tight battle Kilsheelan came out on top to earn a place in the B final.  Balingarry had also beaten Fethard and were our opponents for the final, we were treated to a thrilling contest.  Level 1:1 to 1:1 at half time it was nip and tuck right up to the final whistle.  Kilsheelan Kilcash then went a goal up but Ballingarry kept the pressure on.  They scored a point to put 2 between the teams and came looking for the winning goal.  Attack after attack was repealed at our goal-line until Man of the Match Colin Roche emerged from the square with the ball in his hand, he burst out and drove a magnificent clearance up the field.  Kilsheelan Kilcash were victorious. 


A big thank you to all the mentors, to Fethard, Clonmel Oil and the Connolly family for running such an entertaining blitz.  The word on the street is that the, and I quote, ‘Liam Connolly’, is currently touring the schools.

– John NolanIMG_2738