Juvenile Update – U12s – 6th June 2016

With their great run in the football championship still fresh in their minds, Kilsheelan's U12s got their hurling campaign under way in the A grade on Sunday morning, taking on Cahir in Kilsheelan. These 2 sides knew each other well after meeting twice in the football. Cahir got the first score with a point, which was cancelled out by a pointed free for Kilsheelan. Cahir then blitzed the home side with 5 points in a row, 2 from placed balls. Kilsheelan stopped the rot with a point of their own, followed by a score for each side before Kilsheelan closed out the half with another free. The half time score was 0-7 to 0-4 in Cahir's favour, but worryingly for Kilsheelan, they didn't score from play in that first half.
Cahir again started the second half on top, and things looked bad for Kilsheelan when Cahir followed their opening point of the 2nd half with a goal. The home side were now 7 points down early in the second half. They did raise the next green flag to reduce arrears. They sides again went score for score, 2 for Cahir either side of 2 for Kilsheelan. Kilsheelan's attack hit a purple patch with 1-1 to put the teams level. A goalmouth scramble had Kilsheelan hearts in mouths, but they cleared well, went up the field and took the lead for the first time in the match. Cahir worked a scoring chance, and, as with much of the game, they took it. The final whistle went and the teams had to settle for a draw. One could argue that Cahir were the better side for large periods, but Kilsheelan's willingness to battle and scrap, and their determination not to give up gave them a well-earned draw.
Next up for the U12A team is an away match against Mullinahone next weekend
Kilsheelan's other U12 team also made their bow in the hurling competition. They travelled to Ballingarry for their first match in the D grade. Both sides started nervously, with the ball going back and forth between the 2 half back lines. Ballingarry were first break the trend with 2 expertly taken points. Kilsheelan's only scores in the first half came from frees, but one was a point while the other was a goal, giving the away side a slender lead. Another pointed free and one from play early in the second half gave Kilsheelan some breathing room – a 3-point lead was a lot in such a tight game. As Ballingarry pushed forward in search of and equalising goal, Kilsheelan hit them with a sucker punch – a really well-worked breakaway team goal finished off by Aaron Costin. At the back, Daniel Condon and John Brunnock were very solid in front of goalkeeper Micheal Bates, whos puckouts were vital. Ballingarry did get a point from their efforts, but couldn't break through for the goal they needed. The final whistle went and Kilsheelan came out on top of a well-played and hard-fought game.
Next for Kilsheelan's U12D team is a home match against Fethard on Friday evening, 7.30 in Kilsheelan.