Match Reports 2005



The minor team played their opening match in the Co League when they travelled to Templemore to take on J K Brackens. With a very much under strength side they never looked like matching the home side and were well beaten in the end by 3-9 to 0-2. The team lined out as follows: Colm Sweeney, Paul Kennedy, Shane Prendergast, Kieran White, James Geraghty, Brian Richards, Naoise O Cuinneagain, Paul Denn, Ross Larkin, Darren Mc Carthy, Barry Cloona, Ken Hogan, Ian Coughlan, Danny Harte and Conor Horgan.

At a very cold Kilsheelan, one week later the minor football team took on Moycarkey Borris in the County League. Incidentally this was the mid sides first time ever coming to Kilsheelan for a competitive match. Kilsheelan were slow to make use of the wind early on. After ten minutes their hopes received a boost when Donnacha Lonergan shot a goal. Five minutes later they received a set back when a defensive error resulted in a Moycarkey goal. At half time we led by 1-3 to 1-1, a lead that did not look good having to face the elements in the second half. Moycarkey fought back and drew level at 1-4 each with eight minutes to go. Kilsheelan got a good share of the play in the closing stages. Chances were missed before Darren Mc Carthy pointed. However, with the last kick of the game the visitors levelled to leave the final score at 1-5 each.

TEAM: Colm Sweeney, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Paul Kennedy, Naoise O Cuinneagain, Brian Richards, Ken Hogan, Paul Denn, Pádraic Hickey, Darren Mc Carthy 0-2, Ross Larkin 0-2, Frank Strang 0-1, Donnacha Lonergan 1-0, Niall Gibbs and Ian Coughlan.

SUBS: Barry Cloona, Conor Horgan, Matthew Hantz and Danny Harte

In the next match they were at home to Boherlahan. Despite losing both midfielders in the opening half for different reasons this was a great performance. At half time they led by 1-3 to 0-2. Two goals settled this game, one midway through the first half by Donnacha Lonergan and the second goal by Niall Gibbs in the last ten minutes of the game. It would be unfair not to mention the backs as a unit as they defended very well. Final Score was Kilsheelan 2-5 Boherlahan 0-6.

TEAM: Colm Sweeney, Steven O'Brien, Kieran White, Ian Coughlan James Geraghty, Shane Prendergast, Eoin Twohig, Barry Cloona, Brian Richards, Darren McCarthy, Ross Larkin 0-2, Frank Strang 0-1, Conor Horgan, Niall Gibbs 1-1 and Donnacha Lonergan 1-1.
Sub: Danny Harte

In the next outing at home to Cahir Kilsheelan got off to a great start with a goal from Donnacha Lonergan and two points from Ian Coughlan. Cahir fought back and led at the interval by 1-5 to 1-4. Cahir started well in the second half with a point but that was to be their last score. Niall Gibbs got the crucial score, midway in the second half with a great goal. We finished worthy winners in the end on the scoreline 2-8 to 1-6.One Comment the work rate of all the players was brilliant and they showed plenty of spirit as well and in doing so qualified for the County League Final.

TEAM: Colin Sweeney, Steven O'Brien, Kieran White, Matthew Hants, James Geragthy, Shane Prendergast, Naoise O'Cuineagain, Paul Denn 0-1, Darren McCarthy, Donnacha Lonergan 1-3, Ross Larkin 0-1, Eoin Twohig Ian Coughlan 0-2, Niall Gibbs 1-1 and Conor Horgan

At Fethard on St Patrick’s Day Kilsheelan-Kilcash upset the odds when they had one point to spare after a see saw struggle. The match was played under ideal conditions ensuring a good standard of football which the small attendance enjoyed as a spectacle right to the end.

Both sides played the game in a sporting manner and the referee had an easy job to control it. Kilsheelan-Kilcash better known as a football stronghold went into this game as underdogs against a side more at home with the small ball.

Moycarkey opened the scoring after three minutes when Anthony Healy pointed a free. Moments later the same player pointed from play. Attacking half back Eddie Power extended their lead further. Anthony Healy was again on the mark from an acute angle. Moycarkey who had a decided physical advantage were moving well and could have had further scores. Kilsheelan had to wait until the fourteenth minute for their opening score when Donnacha Lonergan pointed a free. Against the run of play they had the opening goal when Paul Denn’s long delivery was gathered by a Moycarkey defender who was dispossessed by Ross Larkin and Donnacha Lonergan showed his opportunism and shot to the net. Moycarkey again hit the front when David Morris pointed from 40 metres. The earlier goal was a boost for Kilsheelan. They began to believe in themselves and finding a better placed team mate put the Moycarkey defence under greater pressure. This paid off in the closing stages of the half when Donnacha Lonergan and Ross Larkin pointed to give them a half time lead of 1-3 to 0-5.

There was a dramatic change on the resumption. Moycarkey won the throw in. The ball was played into Aidan Ryan who goaled after 20 seconds. For the next ten minutes the defences were on top. The pendulum swung Kilsheelan’s way with points by Ian Coughlan and Donnacha Lonergan to put the sides on level terms. The issue again turned in Moycarkey’s favour when defender Tony Flanagan, who had moved upfield, sent in a shot from 30 metres for what looked like a point but instead ended in the top corner of the net. Kilsheelan had their chances for damaged limitation but were unable to capitalise due to faulty shooting. Their hopes were raised when Donnacha Lonergan pointed a free. The same player then went on a 40 metre solo before shooting over the bar. Both sides were now showing great determination in the battle for honours as the game went into the last ten minutes. Eddie Power put Moycarkey two up. The same player showed his uncanny accuracy almost immediately to give his side a lead of 2-7 to 1-7. With their advantage in physique and despite playing against the elements Moycarkey looked the safer bet for honours. With six minutes remaining Ian Coughlan showed a brilliant piece of intuition. Nothing looked on as he gathered the ball 30 metres out, he got past a number of defenders as he soloed into the centre and from 20 metres sent the ball to the net for the best score of the match to leave the sides level on 2-7 each. Moycarkey again attacked and Anthony Healy put them in the ascendancy with a point and a grand stand finish was now in prospect. Kilsheelan were not ready to concede. The ball was played upfield for Darren Mc Carthy to land the equaliser and extra time now beckoned. From the kick out Kilsheelan again attacked. Ross Larkin gathered and to the delight of Kilsheelan’s mentors and supporters he made no mistake with a point. Time was now up but Moycarkey had one last chance but under pressure the ball went wide. The final whistle went following the kick out and nobody could say that Kilsheelan were not deserving winners by 2-9 to 2-8. After the match the Chairman of the County Football Board Pete Savage presented the plaque to the victorious captain Shane Prendergast.

Best for Kilsheelan were Shane Prendergast, Pádraic Hickey, James Geraghty, Donnacha Lonergan and Ian Coughlan. For Moycarkey Shane Barry, Eddie Power, David Morris, Eoin Cantwell and Anthony Healy were best.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Colm Sweeney. Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Paul Kennedy, Eoin Twohig, Pádraic Hickey, Naoise O Cuinneagain, James Geraghty, Darren Mc Carthy 0-1, Donnacha Lonergan 1-5, Paul Denn, Ian Coughlan 1-2, Conor Horgan, Niall Gibbs and Ross Larkin 0-1.

SUBS: Lorcan Ryan for Paul Kennedy, Ken Hogan for Naoise O Cuinneagain and Robert Henebry for Conor Horgan.

MOYCARKEY-BORRIS: David Kinnane, Peter O’Brien, Shane Barry, Paul Kennedy, Eoin O’Dwyer, Tony Flanagan 1-0, Eddie Power 0-3, Aidan Ryan 1-0, David Morris 0-1, Jamie Fanning, Eoin Cantwell, Laurence Power, Gerry Maguire, Paddy Shortall and Anthony Healy 0-4.         

SUBS: Phil Kiely for Paddy Shortall, Kieran Clohessy for Gerry Maguire and Brian Moran for Jamie Fanning.

REFEREE: Willie Kennedy (Knockavilla Kickhams)


In the first round of the championship the team were to play Marlfield at Ned Hall Park. Unfortunately Marlfield were unable to field a team and conceded a walkover.

Following their recent success hopes were high of doing well in this competition, In the opening game they travelled to Carrick to take on Mullinahone. Kilsheelan started well and had points by Niall Gibbs, Ian Coughlan and Donnacha Lonergan (2). Mullinahone hit back with a point from Shane O’Brien and a goal by Damien Hickey to put them in the lead. Coming up to the interval it was Kilsheelan’s turn to hit the front when Damien Mc Carthy and Donnacha Lonergan pointed. Mullinahone had the last word with a point from Adrian Doheny to leave the score level at 1-3 to 0-6.

In the early stages of the second half neither side were able to gain any advantage. Donnacha Lonergan pointed two frees for Kilsheelan while Kevin Waltzer and Adrian Doheny had Mullinahone points. After seventeen minutes Mullinahone were awarded a penalty but Adrian Doheny’s effort went over the bar. Two minutes later Kilsheelan had a similar award. Enda Mc Eniry in the Mullinahone goal made a great save from Darren Mc Carthy only for the latter to smash the rebound to the net. As the game wore on Mullinahone got on top with a point by Adrian Doheny from a free leaving them winners by 2-8 to 1-8. Best for Kilsheelan were Pádraic Hickey, Lorcan Ryan, Darren Mc Carthy and Donnacha Lonergan.

TEAM: Colm Sweeney, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Paul Kennedy, Eoin Twohig, Pádraic Hickey, Lorcan Ryan, Brian Richards, James Geraghty, Ross Larkin, Darren Mc Carthy, Donnacha Lonergan, Conor Horgan, Niall Gibbs and Ian Coughlan.

SUBS: Ken Hogan and Robert Henebry.

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

Monroe was the venue for the next match against Ballingarry. Kilsheelan opened the scoring after ten minutes when Niall Gibbs pointed. Michael Fogarty, who was the best midfielder on view, put the side’s level. Darren Mc Carthy again put Kilsheelan ahead only for Ballingarry to regain parity with a James Logue point. In the closing ten minutes Kilsheelan’s good approach work began to pay off. Ross Larkin from forty meters, Ian Coughlan and two from Donnacha Lonergan put Kilsheelan 0-6 to 0-2 ahead. Just before the interval Ballingarry against the run of play got the opening goal. Michael Fogarty worked his way down field. The Kilsheelan defence were caught too far out and Fogarty found the unmarked Matt Rotherham and he shot to the net. This left Kilsheelan leading by 0-6 to 1-2 at the break.

On the resumption Richard Butler put the side’s level when he pointed a free. Moments later Ballingarry went ahead for the first time when Tom Butler was on the mark. Ballingarry looked the likely victors as they were aided by the elements. Kilsheelan were not going to go down without a fight. In the tenth minute, a long ball out of defence was gathered by Ian Coughlan who spotted the unmarked Donnacha Lonergan and he made no mistake for a goal. Ballingarry recovered quickly from this setback and drew level with points by Richard Butler and Michael Fogarty. Kilsheelan again hit the front when Donnacha Lonergan pointed but this was cancelled out by a similar effort from James Logue. With seven minutes to go the game took a decisive turn in Ballingarry’s favour. A long delivery into the Kilsheelan goal broke to Matt Rotherham and he drove the ball past the goalkeeper to leave the score at 2-7 to 1-7. James Logue had a further point. Kilsheelan went in search of a goal and a great drive by Brian Richards was deflected over the bar. Ballingarry had the last word when the impressive Logue again pointed to leave his side winners by 2-9 to 1-8.

BALLINGARRY: James Maher, Thomas Maher, Thomas Donovan, Damien Fitzgerald, Kevin Fitzgerald, Tom Butler 0-1, Daniel Fennelly, Michael Fogarty 0-2, Sean Cahill, Matthew Treacy, Richard Butler 0-2, James Logue 0-4, Kieran Shelly, Matt Rotherham 2-0 and Thomas Hanrahan.

SUBS:  Billy Horan for Thomas Hanrahan

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Colm Sweeney, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Eoin Twohig, James Geraghty, Paraic Hickey, Brian Richards 0-1, Paul Denn 0-1, Lorcan Ryan, Darren Mc Carthy 0-1, Donnacha Lonergan 1-3, Ross Larkin, Ian Coughlan, Niall Gibbs 0-1 and Robert Henebry.

SUBS: Ken Hogan for Robert Henebry and David Ryan for Niall Gibbs

REFEREE: Jimmy Dunne (Moyle Rovers)

Once again Monroe was the venue when Kilsheelan took on Fethard in the next round. In the early stages Kilsheelan defence dealt comfortably with anything Fethard had to offer. This was the springboard for many of their attacks and it resulted in some well taken points by Darren Mc Carthy, Donnacha Lonergan, Ian Coughlan, Frank Strang and Paul Denn to put them well clear. Fethard’s share of play increased as the half wore on. Unfortunately for them they were off target from easy positions. Points by Peter Gough and John Leahy were their only reward as Kilsheelan led at the break on a scoreline of 0-9 to 0-2.

Kilsheelan looked to be in a strong position starting the second half but Fethard had different ideas.

They had two points from John Leahy as they put the Kilsheelan defence under greater pressure. A Donnacha Lonergan point steadied Kilsheelan. Fethard continued to miss chances. They were rewarded after 45 minutes when a Peter Gough shot escaped the clutches of the Kilsheelan goalkeeper for a goal. Kilsheelan looked unnerved by this setback and a fine inter-passing movement between Donnacha Lonergan and Paul Denn resulted in the latter shooting a fine point and with seven minutes to go his side led by 0-11 to 1-4. Fethard again pressed forward and a spectacular goal by Peter Gough again reduced the arrears. A Kilsheelan point by Darren Mc Carthy put Kilsheelan two ahead which is often regarded as a dangerous lead at this stage of a game. This proved to be true as defender Jim Smyth moved upfield. He received a pass and soled his way through for a goal. Over the hour Kilsheelan can not complain because if Fethard had taken earlier chances they would not have to wait until the last minute for the decisive score. The Finalscore was Fethard 3-4 Kilsheelan 0-12.

FETHARD: Glen O’Meara, Connie Flynn, Liam Ryan, Alan O’Connor, David Prout, Jim Smyth 1-0, Niall Hayes, Richard Carey, Liam O’Brien, Peter Gough 2-1, John Leahy 0-3, Stephen O’Meara, Declan Doyle, Aaron O’Donovan and Dean Tobin.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Colm Sweeney, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Paul Kennedy, James Geraghty, Paraic Hickey, Lorcan Ryan, Brian Richards, Paul Denn 0-2, Ian Coughlan 0-2, Frank Strang 0-1, Darren Mc Carthy 0-4, Donnacha Lonergan 0-3, Niall Gibbs and Eoin Twohig.

SUBS: Ross Larkin and Ken Hogan

REFEREE: Padraig Ryan (Cahir)

Next game Kilsheelan played St Patrick’s at Cloneen. This match was only academic interest as Kilsheelan were already out of contention. The task was made more difficult as the team lined out understrength and also had a player sent off in the early stages. However, the team confounded the odds when they won by 0-11 to 0-10. It was a pity that they did not display this form in earlier rounds as they would be through to the knock out stages.

The home side dominated early on and had three points on the board. Kilsheelan fought back to draw level. They continued to press and at half time led by 0-5 to 0-3. In the second half they continued to have the upper hand. Despite a late rally by St Patrick’s Kilsheelan held out for a narrow victory.

TEAM: Colm Sweeney, Matthew Hantz, Shane Prendergast, Miceal Corcoran, Paul Kennedy, Lorcan Ryan, Ken Hogan, James Geraghty, Ross Larkin, Ian Coughlan, Darren Mc Carthy 0-1, Conor Horgan, Danny Harte, Donnacha Lonergan 0-8 and Ritchie Doyle.

SUB: Robert Henebry 0-2.


The arrival of the last weekend in February was the wake up call for the GAA fields that normal services were about to resume. At Monroe Kilsheelan took on Ballingarry in the first round. The game was played under ideal conditions and both sides availed of the opportunity to show their early season form. Scores were close all the way as the pendulum swung to and fro many times over the hour.

Aided by a slight breeze Ballingarry made the early running. In the second minute they opened the scoring with a point from a free by David Cashin. Kilsheelan hit back in the next attack. The ball was played to Frank Strang who put the side’s level. His side then hit the front when outstanding midfielder Eoin Ryan (Ballyglasheen) hit over the bar from an acute angle. Kilsheelan’s lead was stretched further when Michael Mc Hugh was on the mark from a free.

Kilsheelan continued to press forward but were repulsed by a Ballingarry defence led by J P O’Brien. He also had the task on marking Kilsheelan’s Michael Mc Hugh and kept him in close check. The games defining moment came after 14 minutes. The losers defence pushed upfield and were caught napping. Ballingarry defender Tom Butler played a long ball to Richard Butler who escaped his marker and his deft touch found the corner of the net for the game’s only goal. Moments later there was almost a carbon copy but this time they failed to capitalise. As the game wore on Ballingarry became more into the play and Kilsheelan had to depend on their rock solid high fielding Niall Walsh to keep them at bay. The only remaining score of the half was a point by Sean Purcell which left his side with an interval lead of 1-2 to 0-3.

After the resumption Kilsheelan were off target a number of times before Michael Mc Hugh pointed a free. Ballingarry worked their way upfield for the impressive Sean Purcell to send over the bar. Kilsheelan again forced the issue and they were now on top at midfield. Michael Mc Hugh was just wide from a ’45. Sub Robert Henebry started the revival with a point. Senan O’Halloran had the side’s level. Kilsheelan hit the front when Eoin Ryan (B) pointed from far out. They were now in the driving seat and looked likely winners as the game entered the last ten minutes. However, Ballingarry had other intentions. They had a shot for goal but it was saved brilliantly by Colm Sweeney in the Kilsheelan goal. Their persistence eventually proved fruitful when David Cashin levelled from a free. The same player, who was a constant menace to the Kilsheelan defence, put his side ahead with another point.

With four minutes left on the clock Kilsheelan were awarded a close in free and extra time looked to be a possibility. Inexplicably Michael Mc Hugh went for goal only for the ball to be cleared. Kilsheelan again went in search of the equaliser and after a promising move the attack broke down. This had been a very entertaining and sporting game up to then but took a turn as players did not see eye to eye with one another. As a result Kilsheelan lost two players and Ballingarry were one down. Kilsheelan had time for one last attack but their four man attack never looked like getting the equaliser. At the final whistle Ballingarry were winners by 1-5 to 0-7 in a game that could have gone either way.

BALLINGARRY: James Maher, Thomas Maher, Alan Cooney, Matt Rotheram, Tom Butler, J P O’Brien, Kevin Fitzgerald, Thomas Cleere, Sean Purcell 0-2, Richard Butler 1-0, David Cashin 0-3, Donal Norton, Matthew Treacy, Sean Cahill and Kieran Shelly.

SUBS: John Houlihan for Matthew Treacy and Garry Fitzgerald for Kieran Shelly.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Colm Sweeney, Stephen O’Brien, Niall Walsh, Ciaran Gibbs, Michael Foley, Tomas Ryan, Keith Condon, Eoin Ryan (B) 0-2, Senan O’Halloran 0-1, Eoin Ryan (K),Michael Mc Hugh 0-2, George Stewart, Ian Coughlan, Frank Strang 0-1 and Ross Larkin.

SUB: Robert Henebry 0-1 for Ross Larkin

REFEREE: Victor Direen (Mullinahone)

Despite losing their first round match Kilsheelan-Kilcash still had a further chance and took on Ballyporeen at Ardfinnan.

On this occasion it was the men from the western side of the division who will advance. Apart from the opening quarter they were the better side. In the second half it was all one way traffic as Ballyporeen piled on the pressure.

Early on both side’s squandered chances and the opening score did not come until the ninth minute. The ball was played in to M J Meaney who sent over the bar. Four minutes later Kilsheelan were level when Eoin Ryan (Ballyglasheen) pointed from 40 metres. They led for the first and only time when Senan O’Halloran had a well taken point. Thanks to midfield superiority they pushed forward but the attack were unable to turn them into scores. As the half wore on the winners who were much stronger physically were pushing forward in greater numbers. This paid off after eighteen minutes when Michael Meaney pointed. Kevin Lynch did likewise moments later and Meaney stretched the lead further with another point. They looked to be in with a goal chance and only timely intervention by Michael Foley kept them out. This was only a temporary respite. Ballyporeen forced a ’45. Sean Mc Grath prevented the ball from going wide, he then passed to Michael Meaney who placed the ball in the corner of the net from close range. This left Ballyporeen in the ascendancy at half time by 1-4 to 0-2.

After the interval the winners had the advantage of a freshening breeze and they quickly made it tell. The goal before half time was a hammer blow for Kilsheelan and as a result they had little appetite for the uphill battle that lay ahead. Darren Lyons who had an indifferent first half came much more in to the game opening the second half with a point from 45 metres. They had further points from Kevin Lynch, sub Dan English, Shane Molan and Michael Meaney to leave them ahead by 1-10 to 0-2 with fifteen minutes to go. Despite the best efforts of Eoin Ryan (B) and Niall Walsh Kilsheelan were unable to stem the tide. In the closing minute Daire Lyons was twice on the mark. They had their second goal when a high lob was fisted out by a Kilsheelan defender which broke kindly to Michael Meaney who first timed to the net. Kilsheelan had their lone second half score when Eoin Ryan (B) pointed as Ballyporeen ran out clear winners by 2-13 to 0-3.

Due to an inordinate number of injuries Kilsheelan had not the strength in depth to make a greater impact. Their best players were Niall Walsh, Tommy Ryan, Eoin Ryan (B), Eoin Ryan (K) and Senan O’Halloran.

BALLYPOREEN: Thomas Drislane, Kieran Mc Grath, Davy Russell, Harry English, Shane Molan 0-1, Paul Hyland, Jamie Cahill, Brendan Finn, Davy Hyland, Sean Sweeney, Daire Lyons 0-4, Kevin Lynch 0-2, Pat Quinlan, Michael J Meaney 2-4 and Sean Mc Grath.

SUBS: Dan English 0-1 for Pat Quinlan, Charlie Barlow for Sean Sweeney and John Tobin for Sean Mc Grath.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Colm Sweeney, Michael Foley, Niall Walsh, Kieran Gibbs, George Stewart, Tommy Ryan, Keith Condon, Eoin Ryan (B) 0-2, Senan O’Halloran 0-1, David Hanrahan, Eoin Ryan (K), James Geraghty, Ian Coughlan, Niall Gibbs and Ross Larkin.

SUB: Stephen O’Brien for Ross Larkin (inj)

REFEREE: Noel Cosgrave (Marlfield)


Fethard were our opponents in the opening round at Marlfield. In the opening eight minutes Fethard had goals from Johnny Leahy and M J Croke and they went on to lead by 2-4 with no reply from Kilsheelan. Their opening score was a goal by Johnny Cahill and at the interval Fethard led by 2-8 to 1-2.

After the break Kilsheelan led by veteran John Larkin in defence came forward in waves and had five points without reply. As the half wore on Fethard came more and more into the game. A goal by Shay Coen left them ahead by 3-9 to 1-10 with eleven minutes remaining. Kilsheelan continued to press but were unable to turn their chances into scores as Fethard added a further two points for a seven point winning margin on a scoreline of 3-11 to 1-10.

FETHARD: Glen O’Meara, Philly Prout, Kevin Coffey, Connie Flynn, Michael Kelly 0-1, Dee Burke, Paul Hackett, Gabriel Hogan 0-2, Willie O’Brien, Johnny Leahy 1-3, John Hanrahan, M J Croke 1-1, Paddy Cooney, Shay Coen 1-1 and David Flanagan 0-3.

SUBS: Alan Burke, Michael Mc Cormack, Peter Gough and P J Morrissey

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Michael Dempsey, Peter O’Connell, John Larkin, Colm Sweeney, Stephen Mc Grath, Niall Walsh, Keith Condon, Oisin O Cuinneagain, Simon Mc Gowan, Johnny Cahill 1-3, John Geraghty, Alan Fahey, Roger Doyle 0-1, Michael Ryan 0-1 and Richard Crotty 0-1.

SUB: Ross Larkin 0-4.

REFEREE: Paddy Ivors (Ballingarry)

Under ideal conditions at Monroe a fine second half display by Clonmel Og ensured that they maintained their unbeaten record when easily defeating Kilsheelan-Kilcash. Kilsheelan had first use of the strong wind but were unable to put it to any great advantage and after twenty minutes the score was level at two points each. The remaining half was Kilsheelan’s best period of the game as they added two further points and a well worked goal by Roger Doyle that gave them a five point advantage at the break a lead that did not look sufficient considering the elements.

When play resumed this quickly became evident as Clonmel Og got on top and in doing so they shot some well taken points. With ten minutes to go they led by 0-11 to 1-4. There first goal came when Tony Smith sent in a long ball which looked to be going wide only for Jody Cunningham, with the deftest of touches, sent the ball to the net. They consolidated their position further when sub Eoin Aylward had his side’s second goal to leave Clonmel Og winners by 2-13 to 1-5

For Kilsheelan this was their second loss and they need to start wining if they are to make further progress. This is a well balanced Clonmel side who look capable of reaching the knock out stages.

CLONMEL OG: Mark Prout, Trevor Whelan, Jonathan O’Connor, John Landers, Stephen Kearns, David Peters, Tony Smith 0-1, Jody Cunningham 1-1, Eoin Leahy, Johnny Walsh 0-3, Jonathon O’Donoghue 0-4, Dave Thompson 0-2, Dean Blake 0-1, Ritchie Tobin and Vincent O’Meara.

SUBS: Eoin Aylward 1-0, Darren Burns 0-1, Barry Hennessey, Liam & Des Morrissey.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Michael Dempsey, Colm Sweeney, Niall Walsh, Peter O’Connell, Shane Prendergast, John Larkin, Martin Ormonde, Oisin O Cuinneagain, Simon Mc Gowan, Liam Robinson 0-3, Roger Doyle 1-0, Ross Larkin 0-1, Sean Nugent 0-1, Michael Ryan and John Geraghty.

SUB: Shane Geoghegan.

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

In the third match Kilsheelan travelled to Carrick to take on the home side. Swan went in to an early lead as a result of some excellent passing movements that Kilsheelan had no answer to. After fifteen minutes they looked set for an easy victory. Kilsheelan recovered somewhat and at the interval Swan led by 0-6 to 0-2.

The second half was much more competitive. It was end to end stuff as defences were on top. At the three quarter stage the winners led by 0-8 to 0-4 when Kilsheelan were handed a lifeline. Michael Ryan found a gap in the Swan defence and beat the goalkeeper to reduce the lead to the minimum. In the closing stages Swan put in the greater effort. A goal and a point by Andrew Walsh left them six point winners on a scoreline of 1-10 to 1-4.

CARRICK SWAN: Tony Robinson, John Walsh, Jim Burke, Pat Lanigan, Dermot Lanigan 0-1, Sean Barrett, William Loughman, Daryl Whitty 0-1, Peter Wyse, Stephen Walsh 0-2, Derek Hogan 0-1, Ray Dunne 0-1, Andrew Walsh 1-2, Willie Barrett 0-1 and Derek Reade 0-1.

SUB: Gerard Hawkins

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Michael Dempsey, Shane Geoghegan, John Larkin, Michael Foley, George Stewart 0-1, Peter O’Connell, Martin Ormonde, Roger Doyle 0-2, Michael Ryan 1-0, Kieran Gibbs, Sean Nugent, Kieran O’Halloran, Alan Fahey, Ross Larkin 0-1 and Nicky Coughlan.

SUB: John Geraghty

REFEREE: Seamus Mullins (Clonmel)

In the next match Kilsheelan travelled to Ned Hall Park to take on Commercials. Both sides badly needed the points to reach the knockout stages. Playing against the fairly strong wind Commercials looked like heading for a runaway win. Goals by Mark Casey and Aidan Barry set them on their way. With veterans Franny Kelly and Martin Quinlivan also contributing they had 2-3 on the board before Kilsheelan got off the mark with a Johnny Cahill point. The scoring rate then dropped and at half time Commercials led by 2-5 to 0-3.

In the second half Kilsheelan now facing the wind had an uphill struggle in their hands. Despite the elements they knuckled down to the task and enjoyed a greater share of the play as the earlier Commercials dominance faded. Commercials had their third goal midway through the second half by Mark Casey. Kilsheelan’s only goal was scored by Johnny Cahill late in the game. Commercials never looked in danger and had a number of points but Kilsheelan had the last word when Alan Fahey jinked his way through for a point but his side lost by 3-10 to 1-7.

CLONMEL COMMERCIALS: John Hynes, Sean Ward, Mark O’Connor, Jason Parker, Kevin Ryan, Seanie O’ Loughlin, Niall O’Brien, Franny Kelly 0-4, Jamie Power, Kevin Dahill, Martin Quinlivan 0-4, Derek Moore, Mark Casey 2-1, Aidan Barry 1-0 and Eddie Hewitt.

SUBS: Timmy Ryan 0-1 and Paudie Dempsey.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Jim Healy, Colm Sweeney, John Larkin, Michael Foley, George Stewart, Martin Ormonde, Shane Geoghegan, Michael Ryan 0-1, John Cahill 1-5, Ian Coughlan, John Geraghty, Ciaran Gibbs 0-1, Nicky Coughlan, Joe Ryan and Alan Fahey 0-1.

REFEREE: Padraig Ryan (Cahir)

Two more matches remained to play and as the team had no hope of going any further they conceded walkovers in both.


Having won last year’s Division 11 Title the team were promoted to the “A” Division. This was going to be a daunting task as they would be meeting all senior teams. In their opening match away to Carrick Swan Kilsheelan were short a number of players and this proved decisive when the home side had a goal after 20 minutes and at half time led by 1-6 to 0-3. The second half proved to be very competitive but in the end the Swan side ran out winners by 1-11 to 0-6.

TEAM: Michael Dempsey, Peter O’Connell, Dan O’Connor, Noel Ryan, Niall Walsh, Pakie Larkin 0-1, William Larkin, Eoin Ryan, Willie Ryan 0-1, Aidan Walsh 0-1, Martin Larkin 0-1, Tommy Ryan, Johnny Cahill, David Power 0-2 and Michael Foley.

SUB: Anthony Walsh.

The next match was at home to Aherlow. Kilsheelan made the early running and led by three points to one. The senior experience of our opponents began to tell and at half time Kilsheelan were in arrears by 1-7 to 0-3. In the second half the team gave a much improved performance and in the closing minutes went in search of the equalizing goal but time ran out and Aherlow were winners by 1-12 to 1-9.

TEAM: Michael Dempsey, Eddie O’Connell, Noel Ryan. Peter O’Connell, Tommy Ryan, William Larkin, Martin Larkin, Willie Ryan 0-1, Keith O’Brien 0-3, Christy Ryan, Dan O’Connor, Aidan Walsh 0-1, Niall Cloona 0-1, Jim Ryan 0-1 and Keith Robinson 0-2.

SUBS: Johnny Cahill for Christy Ryan (inj)

Next time round Kilsheelan were at home to Moyne-Templetuohy. A depleted side recovered well after a bad start and at half time were behind by 1-6 to 0-7. In the end they went down by 1-13 to 0-8. Unfortunately a number of players failed to turn up thus making the task virtually impossible.

TEAM: Michael Dempsey, Richard Mc Mahon, John Larkin, Peter O’Connell, Pakie Larkin, Tommy Ryan, William Larkin, John Roche 0-2, Eoin Ryan (B) 0-1, Niall Cloona 0-1, Jimmy Ryan 0-1, Keith Robinson 0-2, Colm Sweeney 0-1, Dan O’Connor and Nicky Coughlan.

SUB: Ian Coughlan.

Again a very much under strength team travelled to Tipperary town to take on Arravale Rovers and it was no surprise that they went down on a scoreline of 2-13 to 0-5.

TEAM: David Power, Dan O’Connor, John Larkin, William Larkin, Niall Walsh, Jimmy Ryan, Tommy Ryan, Pakie Larkin, Eoin Ryan (B), Martin Larkin 0-1, Niall Cloona, Keith Robinson 0-1, Keith O’Brien (capt) 0-2, Liam Stokes and Johnny Cahill.

SUBS: Aidan Walsh 0-1 and Christy Ryan.

In the final match they were at home to Cahir and this was their last chance to register a victory. At half time they were led by 1-5 to 0-5. They put on a much better second half display and a late goal by Niall Cloona gave them victory by 1-10 to 1-6.

TEAM: David Power, Eddie O’Connell, Jimmy Ryan, Dan O’Connor, Niall Walsh, Willie Ryan, Noel Ryan, John Roche, Eoin Ryan, Niall Cloona 1-1, Keith Robinson, Tommy Ryan, Keith O’Brien 0-3, Adrian Walsh 0-5


In the Munster Football League Kilsheelan were at home to Cork side Ballinora. They had first use of the wind. Playing some excellent football they led for most of the half but when half time came the Cork side had drawn level on a scoreline of 0-9 each. Against the wind in the second half Kilsheelan kept in touch. However, in the last quarter the greater fitness level of the Ballinora side proved decisive and they went on to win by 1-19 to 0-11.

TEAM: David Power, William Larkin, Jimmy Ryan, Peter O’Connell, Niall Walsh, Noel Ryan, Pakie Larkin 0-2, Liam Stokes 0-2, Eoin Ryan, Keith Robinson, Niall Cloona 0-1, Ed Sweeney, Pierce Larkin, Adrian Walsh 0-4 and Keith O’ Brien 0-2.

SUB: Roger Doyle

Next outing we travelled to Carrigaline. With many players unavailable for various reasons we had to play a number of minor players to fulfil the fixture. In the circumstances the team did well though beaten by 1-17 to 1-7.

TEAM: David Power, Peter O’Connell, Jimmy Ryan, Richard Mc Mahon, Martin Larkin, Willie Ryan, Tommy Ryan, John Roche, Eoin Ryan, Padraic Hickey, Adrian Walsh, Aidan Walsh, Keith O’Brien, Roger Doyle and Keith Robinson.

SUBS: Colm Sweeney, Liam Robinson and Ross Larkin.

In the remaining match we were at home to Cork City side Mayfield. This game turned out to be a real eye opener and our side were very much off the pace and Kilsheelan were beaten by 3-18 to 0-8 There was no county championship this year and in order to reach the county stages the club would have to win the South title. There was a long wait for the first round and the Club decided to hold a seven-a-side internal tournament in order to keep the players in shape. Four teams were involved with each team playing three matches. In the Shield Final Dan O’Connor’s team triumphed over Keith Robinsons’s team by 9-14 to 6-6.

TEAM: Dan O’Connor (capt), Eoin Ryan., Colm Sweeney, Jimmy Ryan, Aidan Walsh, William Larkin, Pierce Larkin, Nicky Coughlan and John Geraghty.

TEAM: Keith Robinson (capt), Michael Dempsey, Keith Condon, Eddie O’Connell, Anthony Walsh, Barry Cloona, Michael Ryan, Kieran O’Halloran and Richard Crotty.

In the Cup Final Roger Doyle’s team were winners over Martin Larkin’s team on a scoreline of 8-15 to 5-13.

TEAM: Martin Larkin (capt), Pakie Larkin, Keith O’Brien, David Power, Senan O’Halloran, Ian Coughlan and Martin Ormonde.

TEAM: Roger Doyle (capt), John Larkin, Tommy Ryan, Shane Prendergast, John Roche, Frank Strang, Eddie Sweeney, Johnny Cahill and Richard Mc Mahon.

Later, at a function in Nagles Lounge former All Star Declan Browne presented the medals to the winning teams.


At sunny Fethard Kilsheelan took on Mullinahone in the first round. This was a workmanlike performance by them as they were on top in all sectors. Kilsheelan’s inter passing movements had Mullinahone at full stretch and as so often happens over elaboration meant scores went abegging. From an early stage the writing was on the wall for Mullinahone. To be fair to the losers they lined out without the Kelly brothers and Paul Curran. With one eye on the hurling championship they looked ill prepared for the task. Despite suffering defeat they had arguably the best player on the field in Niall Curran. His high fielding was a feature of the game but his efforts failed to inspire his team mates.

Kilsheelan were first off the mark when Keith O’Brien pointed a free after two minutes. They continued to press with some slick passing moves which were often spoiled by poor shooting.

They had to wait until the eight minute for their next score when Pierce Larkin pointed. Moments later Mullinahone had their first serious attack but were off target. Kilsheelan then had a great chance of a goal when Adrian Walsh put Keith Robinson through only for goalkeeper Dan Croke to make a point blank save. The same player got a second bite at the cherry but this time the rebound went out for a ’45 which John Roche pointed. His midfield colleague Eoin Ryan was on target with an excellent point from far out. Mullinahone had to wait for sixteen minutes for their first score. Niall Curran soloed upfield and his low delivery was gathered by Pat Croke for a point. Keith Robinson and Edward O’Brien, from a free, went on to exchange points. After twenty one minutes Kilsheelan struck a decisive blow when a quick ball out of defence caught the Mullinahone defenders outfield. Pierce Larkin found the unmarked Adrian Walsh, who unselfishly passed the ball back to Larkin who found the back of the net. Kilsheelan continued to drive forward and Pakie Larkin came up from defence to drive over the bar. Just before the break Mullinahone doubled their tally when Edwin O’Meara and

Edward O’Brien, from a free, left the half time score 1-6 to 0-4 in the winners favour.

On resumption there was no let up from Kilsheelan as Eoin Ryan had his second point. The losers had Niall Curran now operating at midfield where he gained lots of possession and he used it intelligently. Unfortunately for him his forwards failed to capitalise on his promptings. Sub Michael Mc Hugh signalled his arrival with a point for the winners and Keith O’Brien showed great persistence on shaking off a defender for a further point. Mullinahone hit back with a pointed free by Pat Croke. Further points from Adrian Walsh from a long distance free and a Michael Mc Hugh effort left the score at 1-11 to 0-5.

In the closing stages Mullinahone pressed hard but their only reward was points from frees by Edwin O’Meara and Edward O’Brien. Another good move by the winners resulted in a point by John Roche. In the last minute, sub Anthony Walsh, found the unmarked Martin Larkin in behind the Mullinahone defence and despite the best efforts of the stranded Dan Croke he had little difficulty in finding the net to leave his side convincing winners on a scoreline of Mullinahone 2-12 to Kilsheelan 0-7.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: David Power, Dan O’Connor, Jimmy Ryan, William Larkin, Pakie Larkin 0-1, Willie Ryan, Tommy Ryan, John Roche 0-2, Eoin Ryan 0-2, Pierce Larkin 1-1, Liam Stokes, Martin Larkin 1-0, Keith O’Brien 0-2, Adrian Walsh 0-1 and Keith Robinson 0-1.

SUBS: Michael Mc Hugh 0-2 for Keith Robinson and Anthony Walsh for Liam Stokes.

MULLINAHONE: Dan Croke, Noel O’Shea, Niall Curran, Aidan Hall, Philip O’Shea, Ky Vaughan, Joey Maher, Alan Curran, Edward O’Brien 0-3, Kevin Bolger, Edwin O’Meara 0-2, Shane Collins, Declan Mc Namara, Pat Croke 0-2 and Stephen O’Brien.

SUB: Ned Tobin for Stephen O’Brien.

REFEREE: Donie Cahill (Ballyporeen)

In the second match Kilsheelan took on Fr Sheehy’s in Ardfinnan. The Clogheen side made the better start when Philip Ryan scored the opening point. Kilsheelan soon imposed their authority on the game. Keith O’Brien shot two points followed by points from Michael Mc Hugh, Adrian Walsh and Pierce Larkin. Emmet O’Brien had Fr Sheehy’s second score but this was cancelled out by an effort from Pierce Larkin. Fr Sheehy’s then had a further point from John Sheehan. Kilsheelan gradually got on top. Michael Mc Hugh pointed a free and two more points from Keith O’Brien left Kilsheelan leaders by 0-9 to 0-3. Fr Sheehy’s finished strongly and two John Sheehan points cut the deficit to four points.

After the interval Michael Mc Hugh pointed a free. Kilsheelan were then awarded a penalty – Michael Mc Hugh was entrusted with the kick but his short came back off the upright to give Fr Sheehy’s a lifeline. Unperturbed by this setback Kilsheelan had further points from Keith O’Brien, Pierce Larkin, Eoin Ryan, Tommy Ryan and Keith Robinson to lead by 0-15 to 0-5 at the end of the third quarter. Fr Sheehy’s cause now seemed lost but they kept plugging away. Liam Fleming scored a point. The games only goal came when John Corbett linked up with Liam Fleming to find the net with five minutes left. Kilsheelan had the final say with points from Willie Ryan and Eoin Ryan to leave the final score Kilsheelan 0-17 Fr Sheehys 0-7.

TEAM: David Power, Dan O’Connor, Jimmy Ryan, Noel Ryan, Pakie Larkin, Willie Ryan 0-1, Tommy Ryan 0-1, John Roche 0-1, Eoin Ryan 0-1, Michael Mc Hugh 0-4, Pierce Larkin 0-2, Martin Larkin, Keith O’Brien 0-5, Adrian Walsh 0-1 and Keith Robinson 0-1.

SUBS: Eddie O’Connell and Aidan Walsh.

REFEREE: Andy Moloney (Cahir)

Playing their best football to date, Clonmel Og upset the form book when they had seven points to spare over Kilsheelan-Kilcash thus qualifying for the Final for the first time in their history.

From the outset the Clonmel side quickly showed their intent as they had five scores form five attacks before Kilsheelan threatened their goal. They were better fielders and were sharper than their opponents. They demonstrated great teamwork all through and this approach was instrumental in getting many of their scores. The midfield pairing of John Crotty and Shane Kearney had things very much their own way in the early stages while scorer in chief Paul Cagney was always a major threat.

On recent form Kilsheelan would have been confident in getting over this obstacle. They were unable to contain the early onslaught. When they did get the ball upfield invariably a stray pass or a hard tackling Clonmel Og defence put paid to it. The closing stages of  the first half was their best period. This proved to be a false dawn as Clonmel Og controlled the game after the break and there was no way back for Kilsheelan after that.

Clonmel Og opened the scoring after thirty seconds when Dwane Burns sent over the bar. John Crotty added another, moments later. A fleeting passing movement again had the Kilsheelan defence caught out and a confident Paul Cagney scored from a narrow angle. The one way traffic continued when they had further points from Dwane Burns and Paul Cagney. Kilsheelan opened their account after thirteen minutes as Eoin Ryan soloed past a number of defenders and did well to find the target. They failed to build on this and once again, that man Cagney, pointed a free from forty metres to make the score 0-6 to 0-1 after eighteen minutes. Kilsheelan were coming much more into the game and had a number of wides before Keith O’Brien pointed a free. In another attack Michael Mc Hugh found Keith O’Brien in space from a quick sideline kick and sent over the bar when he might have gone for a goal. Just before the break Paul Cagney was again on the mark but on the stroke of half time Keith Robinson pointed to leave the score 0-7 to 0-4 – a scoreline that the favourites would have been happy with considering the way they were playing.

On the resumption Malcolm O’Connor extended Clonmel Og’s total. Kilsheelan again pressed forward and Eoin Ryan had a well taken point. Any hope of a Kilsheelan recovery was quickly put aside when Paul Cagney sent a sideline kick into the goal area and from the breaking ball Shane Kearney booted to the net. They went further ahead when Paul Cagney pointed again. Kilsheelan had further points from Michael Mc Hugh (free) and Keith Robinson was also on the mark to leave the score at 1-9 to 0-7. Clonmel Og again broke upfield catching the Kilsheelan defence too far out to leave Dwane Burns clear on goal and he gave goalkeeper David Power no chance. They had a further point when the Kilsheelan defence lost possession and Christopher Aylward sent over the bar injuring himself in the process In the closing stages Kilsheelan’s attack saw more of the ball and they had points from Tommy Ryan and two long range efforts by Keith Robinson but this was merely too little too late and the town side ran out well deserving winners by 2-11 to 0-10.

Best for Clonmel Og were Conor Morrissey and Mark Gregory did best in a defence that gave little away. Shane Kearney, John Crotty, Dwane Burns and Paul Cagney were inspirational to the rest of the team. For Kilsheelan Dan O’Connor Martin Larkin and Tommy Ryan did best in a defence that never inspired confidence while further afield only Eoin Ryan and Keith Robinson were up to the task.

CLONMEL OG: Keith Madigan, Aidan Fox, Conor Morrissey, Brian Gentles, Noel Walsh, Mark Gregory, Johnny Cagney, Shane Kearney 1-0, John Crotty 0-1, Malcolm O’Connor 0-1, Christopher Aylward 0-1, Ian Purcell, Dwane Burns 1-2, Robert Hickey and Paul Cagney 0-6.

SUBS: Eoin Fallon for Ian Purcell, Karl Kearney for Christopher Aylward and Michael Condon for Robert Hickey.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: David Power, Dan O’Connor, Jimmy Ryan, Martin Larkin, Pakie Larkin, William Ryan, Tommy Ryan 0-1, John Roche, Eoin Ryan 0-2, Michael Mc Hugh 0-1, Pierce Larkin, Edward Sweeney, Keith O’Brien 0-2, Adrian Walsh and Keith Robinson 0-4.

SUBS: Aidan Walsh for Adrian Walsh, Niall Cloona for Pierce Larkin and Eddie O’Connell for Michael Mc Hugh.

REFEREE: Ger O’Riordan (Solohead)

The Semi-Final was played at Fethard and the opposition was Mullinahone. Having already beaten them easily early on, there were high hopes of repeating this win. However, following the previous Sunday’s display the Kilsheelan followers were anything but confident.

This game was a low key affair. The short passing game employed by both sides left alot to be desired as the ball often did not reach its intended destination. As the score would suggest defences were on top due largely to the fact that both sets of forwards lacked ideas to exploit this area. A Pat Croke goal after nine minutes proved to be the decisive score. There was never any more than a few points between the sides. Despite the closeness of the scoring Kilsheelan’s attack rarely looked like gaining parity. They pressed hard in the closing stages but the vital score they needed never looked like coming. After both sides missed early chances Kilsheelan were first off the mark when Edward Sweeney pointed. Mullinahone were quickly on level terms when Edwin O’Meara placed Brian O’Meara for a point. Kilsheelan, in one of their best moves, saw Edward Sweeney part to Adrian Walsh for a point. Mullinahone’s reply was the defining moment of the game. Paul Kelly’s turn of speed brought him close to goal. Kilsheelan goalkeeper David Power did well to smother the shot but the ball rebounded to Pat Croke and he made no mistake. Kilsheelan reduced the leeway when Keith Robinson pointed after a number of passes were put together. Mullinahone extended their lead again when Paul Kelly drove over the bar to leave the score at 1-2 to 0-3 after twenty one minutes. The only remaining score of the half was a Pat Croke point from a free.

When play resumed visibility deteriorated in what was a dull evening. Kilsheelan now had wind advantage and the three point deficit looked to be within their range. Their position was further improved when Keith Robinson had a point. Mullinahone were in no mood to concede anything. They had further points from frees from Joey Maher and Edwin O’Meara. Kilsheelan had their best chance of a goal when Michael Mc Hugh’s shot was saved on the goal line by Philip O’Shea at the expense of a ’45 which proved fruitless. As the low scoring would suggest ever point was now vital. Keith Robinson, from a free, again left a goal between the sides. The winners had a further point when Edwin O’Meara found the unmarked Joey Maher. With an ever increasing drizzle now descending both sides had difficulty in handling the greasy ball. Kilsheelan were now pressing hard and they had a long range point from the hard working Eoin Ryan. Michael Mc Hugh added to the tally to leave the score at 1-6 to 0-7 with four minutes to go. They continued to attack but never looked like to breach the Mullinahone defence and that’s the way it ended.

MULLINAHONE: Noel Leahy, Edwin O’Brien, Niall Curran, Aidan Hall, Vincent Doheny, Ky Vaughan, Philip O’Shea, Brian O’Meara 0-1, Alan Curran, Edwin O’Meara 0-1, Paul Curran, Kevin Bolger, Paul Kelly 0-1, Joey Maher 0-2 and Pat Croke 1-1.

SUBS: Declan Mc Namara for Joey Maher and Noel O’Shea for Kevin Bolger.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: David Power, Dan O’Connor, Willie Ryan, Eddie O’Connell, Pakie Larkin, Jim Ryan, Tommy Ryan, John Roche, Eoin Ryan 0-1, Keith Robinson 0-3, Adrian Walsh 0-1, Martin Larkin, Aidan Walsh, Edward Sweeney 0-1 and Michael Mc Hugh 0-1.

SUBS: Pierce Larkin for Aidan Walsh and Niall Cloona for Dan O’Connor.

REFEREE: Denis Curtis (Thurles)


Under the guidance of John Ryan this team was well prepared but unfortunately he did not get full co-operation from all the players. Kilsheelan’s opening game in the “B” championship was against last years County Minor “C” champions Skeheenarinky. This was a game of two halves. Over the hour, both sides produced a very entertaining game of hurling whatever it might have lacked in quality there was no shortage of endeavour.

In the opening half Skeheen looked the team of all the talents and were on top in every department. They also had a match winner in Michael Hickey who was a member of the Cork panel who won the All Ireland Schools Final. He showed the reason why with a brilliant performance and unerring accuracy from frees. After the interval Kilsheelan took the game to their opponents and at the three quarter stage had drawn level. They were unable to sustain the effort and Skeheen, after some shaky moments, were relieved to hear the final whistle.

James Geraghty got Kilsheelan off the mark with a pointed free. The winners then took a grip on the game as Michael Hickey pointed two frees, Michael O’Gorman added another and Hickey from halfway again sent between the posts. Kilsheelan had to wait for the 16th minute for their next score when Donnacha Lonergan pointed. This was only a brief respite as Conor Sweeney pointed for the winners. Hickey had four more points before the interval while Kilsheelan’s only reply was a James Geraghty point and at half time the winners were comfortably in the driving seat on a score of 0-10 to 0-3.

Whatever the Kilsheelan mentors said at half time it had the desired effect.  Full Forward Lorcan Ryan was now marking Skeheen’s star performer as his side set about reducing the deficit. They went to score some delightful points from Donnacha Lonergan, Pádraic Hickey, James Geraghty and Darren Mc Carthy. After getting on level terms they looked poised for victory and only stout defending by the winners defence prevented them from going ahead. In the second half the winners were held scoreless from play. In the closing stages the winners came more into the play. The Kilsheelan defence were forced to concede frees and Hickey punished them with three points while Kilsheelan’s only reply was a Donnacha Lonergan point. This result left Skeheenarinky winners by 0-14 to 0-11.

Those who shone for Kilsheelan were Matthew Hantz, Shane Prendergast, Robert Henebry, Pádraic Hickey, Donnacha Lonergan, Lorcan Ryan, and James Geraghty.

SKEHEENARINKY: Paudie Fitzgerald, Thomas Martin, Patrick Quinlan, Robert Duggan, Eanna Meaney, Sean Sweeney, Sean Mc Grath, Kenneth English, Harry English, Simon Hickey, Jack English, Michael Hickey 0-11, Conor Sweeney 0-2, Dave Farrell and Michael O’Gorman 0-1.

SUB: Larry Brophy

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Stephen O’Brien, Colm Sweeney, Matthew Hantz, Eoin Twohig, Shane Prendergast, Robert Henebry, Ross Larkin, Pádraic Hickey 0-1, Donnacha Lonergan 0-5, Darren Mc Carthy 0-1, Naoise O Cuinneagain, Ritchie Doyle, Lorcan Ryan and James Geraghty 0-4.

SUBS: Michael Geraghty and David Ryan

REFEREE: Charlie Boland (Moyle Rovers)

The next match was scheduled to be against Cahir but they conceded a walkover.

The next match against Fethard took place in Cloneen. Fethard controlled the early stages but once Kilsheelan went ahead they always looked the likely winners when they scored the only goal after fourteen minutes. To add to Fethard’s woes they later had a player dismissed. Undeterred by this setback they raised their game and the Kilsheelan defence had to be at their best to keep them at bay.

Fethard were first to score when David Prout and Jim Smith pointed. Kilsheelan had to wait ten minutes for their opening score. Donnacha Lonergan had two points in quick succession. James Geraghty put them ahead from a free. Lonergan was again on the mark from a free while Alan O’Connor did likewise for Fethard. A James Geraghty point from a free made it 0-5 to 0-3. Kilsheelan then struck a vital blow when David Ryan drove a ground shot to the net. James Geraghty from a free and a Donnacha Lonergan effort left seven points between the sides. Coming up to the interval Ian Coughlan saved well from Jim Smith. The latter made amends somewhat moments later when he pointed. This left Kilsheelan leading at half time by 1-7 to 0-4.

On the resumption Ian Coughlan again had to be alert to keep his line intact. It should be noted that both goalkeepers were kept busy and could be well satisfied with their nights work. Lorcan Ryan, from a long range free put the winners further ahead. Fethard then enjoyed a greater share of the play and they had points from Liam Ryan and two from frees by Alan O’Connor. Both sides then had chances but were found wanting in taking them. Kilsheelan had to wait twenty minutes for their next score when Robert Henebry pointed a free from half way. They also had the final say when James Geraghty pointed to leave Kilsheelan deserving winners by 1-10 to 0-7.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Stephen O’Brien, Colm Sweeney, Matthew Hantz, Robert Henebry 0-1, Lorcan Ryan 0-1, Paul Kennedy, Ross Larkin, Shane Prendergast, Donnacha Lonergan 0-4, Darren Mc Carthy, Naoise O Cuinneagain,  Ritchie Doyle, David Ryan 1-0 and James Geraghty 0-4.

SUB: Danny Harte

FETHARD: Michael Fleming, Stephen O’Meara, Declan Doyle, Cathal Sheehan, Niall Hayes, Liam O’Brien, David Prout 0-1, Jim Smith 0-2, Liam Ryan 0-1, Alan O’Connor 0-3, Richard Gorey, Dean Tobin, Adrian Lawrence, Glen O’Meara and James Kelly

REFEREE: Pa Shelly (Killenaule)

The next game was against St Mary’s and we had home venue. Kilsheelan came away with the spoils when they had four points to spare over St Mary’s in what proved to be a very entertaining game.

In the opening ten minutes the winners had the better of matters but were off target. St Mary’s were first off the mark when Diarmuid Bolger pointed.. Kilsheelan had to wait eight minutes for their initial score when Donnacha Lonergan sent over the bar. St Mary’s again hit the front when they had two points. Kilsheelan’s reply was a fine piece of opportunism by Donnacha Lonergan when he deflected the ball out of the goalkeepers reach for the best score of the match. Not to be out done, St Mary’s reply was swift. Some excellent approach work resulted in a goal courtesy of Sean Tobin. Both sides continued to exchange points. In the closing minutes of the first half James Geraghty had Kilsheelan’s second goal to leave his side in the ascendancy at half time by 2-7 to 1-4.

When play resumed St Mary’s made no delay in reducing the leeway when Diarmuid Bolger shot to the net and they also added a point. The two sides were now getting a grip on the game but it took a great save by Ian Coughlan in the Kilsheelan goal to prevent them from going ahead. The winners seemed to take inspiration from this and had five points without reply. St Mary’s had the last two points but time ran out on them by 2-12 to 2-8.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Matthew Hantz, Shane Prendergast, Stephen O’Brien, Colm Sweeney, Lorcan Ryan, Robert Hennebry, Ross Larkin, Pádraic Hickey 0-1, Daire Corcoran 0-1, Darren Mc Carthy 0-2, David Ryan, Donnacha Lonergan 1-4, Ritchie Doyle 0-1 and James Geraghty 1-3.

SUB: Michael Geraghty

ST MARY’S: Mark Tobin, Keith O’Brien, Niall O’Brien, Daniel O’Meara, Brendan Costello 0-1, Brendan Mc Donald, Liam O’Donoghue 0-1, Michael Feeney 0-1, Tony Cahill, Sean O’Donoghue 0-2, Sean Tobin 1-1, Zach Guidera, Daniel Harvey 0-1, Evan Harvey and Diarmuid Bolger 1-1.

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

Kisheelan’s next opponents were Carrick Davins and this match took place in Monroe. The Carrick side are red hot favourites to take this title having won all their matches in convincing style and on this occasion it was Kilsheelan’s turn to put them to the test. Apart from brief periods the winners were much superior all through and there was hardly a weak link on their side and one could feel that their mentors have greater ambitions than a South Title for their side. They had an outstanding centre back in Willie O’Dwyer with good support coming from A J Cronin and Liam Mackey.

Centre fielders Michael Cronin and Patrick Harris had things under control most of the way and they were responsible for the majority of their scores. Their attack all contributed well without any outstanding individuals.

Having already achieved back to back victories the losers knew that an enormous obstacle was in their way. Their biggest achievement on the night was to keep a clean sheet. Great credit must go to goalkeeper Ian Coughlan who was kept busy and never put a foot wrong in clearing his lines. Their best player was defender Lorcan Ryan ably assisted by Robert Henebry, Colm Sweeney and Pádraic Hickey. The attack failed to function and wasted a sizeable number of chances that came their way.

Carrick led from the opening minute. Kilsheelan hurled well for a period and managed to keep the score down. In the last ten minutes of the half the winners began to show their class and led at the interval by 0-10 to 0-3. On resumption Davin’s had the best chance of a goal. Willie O’Dwyer raced through the Kilsheelan defence only to be up ended and a penalty was awarded. However, Michael Cronin’s well struck shot was stopped by Ian Coughlan. This was only a brief respite as the winners continued to add to their points tally. The pick of the bunch was a fine effort by Patrick Harris from far out on the sideline. Kilsheelan attack had their chances but were unable to make any impact as Davins march on a scoreline of 0-18 to 0-5.

CARRICK DAVINS: James Watters, Billy Russell, A J Cronin, Ian Mullins, Jonathon Coady 0-1, William O’Dwyer 0-1, Liam Mackey 0-2, Patrick Harris 0-4, Michael Cronin 0-6, Liam O’Dwyer 0-1, Luke Foran 0-1, J J Butler. Mark Keane, Tommy Cronin 0-1 and Stephen Harris 0-1.

Subs: Ritchie Carroll and Jim Walsh

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Miceal Corcoran, Colm Sweeney, Lorcan Ryan, Robert Henebry 0-1, Pádraic Hickey 0-1, Ross Larkin 0-1, Barry Cloona, Darren Mc Carthy, David Ryan, Donnacha Lonergan, Daire Corcoran and James Geraghty 0-2,

SUB: Naoise O Cuinneagain

REFEREE: P J Hassett (Marlfield)

Next time round Kilsheelan played Clonmel Og at Monroe. While both sides fought hard for victory the game never reached the heights expected. There were far too many frees and it was no surprise that most of the scores came from placed balls. The game was close all the way through and the result could have gone either way. The game was played in a very sporting manner until the 44th minute when a player from each side was red carded and this raised the tempo for the remainder of the game.

In the first half neither side were able to gain any advantage. It was point for point as Kilsheelan finished the half stronger and led by 0-5 to 0-3. They were three points up after forty minutes. The Clonmel side then went on to score the only goal of the game. John Cagney faced up to a long range free and his delivery was first timed to the net by Christopher Aylward. His side later went one point ahead. Kilsheelan put in a strong finish and had points by Naoise O’Cuinneagain and James Geraghty to give them a lead they never surrendered winning by 0-13 to 1-8.

Best for Kilsheelan were Shane Prendergast, Lorcan Ryan, Pádraic Hickey, Naoise O Cuinneagain and John Geraghty.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Eoin Twohig, Shane Prendergast, Paul Kennedy, Colm Sweeney, Lorcan Ryan 0-3, Robert Henebry, Pádraic Hickey 0-2, Daire Corcoran, David Ryan, Darren Mc Carthy 0-1, Naoise O’Cuinneagain 0-1, Donnacha Lonergan 0-1, Barry Cloona and James Geraghty 0-5.

SUBS: Ross Larkin and Michael Geraghty.

CLONMEL OG: Paul Landers, Darren Boland, Ger Cunningham, John Gallagher, Kevin Mc Grath, John Cagney 0-3, Killian Rouse, Dwane Burns 0-4, Greg Carroll, Colin O’Mahoney, Gino Lonergan, Jason Coburn, David Mc Grath, Declan Rix  and Christopher Aylward 1-1.

REFEREE: Martin Doyle (Ardfinnan)

In over to reach the Semi-Final Kilsheelan need to beat Ballybacon-Grange in their next match. The game was played under ideal conditions and Ballybacon had first use of the wind in the opening half. Both sides fielded understrength in a game that never reached any great heights. Kilsheelan laid their foundations for this win with two goals in the first twenty minutes which proved decisive in the end.

Ballybacon opened with a Brian Dillon point. The winners drew level when Donnacha Lonergan did likewise. A short while later the same player shot to an empty net when the goalkeeper was forced to come off his line. Ballybacon were unperturbed by this setback and added three points to draw level. The aforementioned Lonergan also played a big part in the second goal. He soloed through and his pass found the unmarked James Geraghty who gave the goalkeeper no chance giving the winners a half time lead of 2-1 to 0-4.

With wind advantage after the break the winners after a slow start began to find the target. Their goals tally would have been greater but for some fine saves by Liam Pollard in the Ballybacon goal. Ballybacon went on to add a further three points but never looked like catching up despite the winners being reduced to fourteen players. In the closing minutes they went in search of goals but the Kilsheelan defence held firm to win by 2-7 to 0-7.

Ballybacon can still qualify for the Semi-Final but are now involved in a play off situation.

Best for Kilsheelan were, Colm Sweeney, Eoin Twohig, Daire Corcoran, Robert Henebry, Naoise O Cuinneagain and Donnacha Lonergan.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan,  Matthew Hantz, Colm Sweeney, Paul Kennedy, Eoin Twohig, Shane Prendergast, Miceal Corcoran, Daire Corcoran 0-1, Robert Henebry 0-1, Naoise O Cuinneagain 0-2, Darren Mc Carthy, Michael Geraghty, Donnacha Lonergan 1-3, James Geraghty 1-0 and Danny Harte.                 SUB: Lorcan Ryan

BALLYBACON-GRANGE: Liam Pollard, Eoin Mc Donagh, Tony Ryan, Noel Fitzgerald, Colm Morris, David Lonergan 0-1, John Costigan, Diarmuid O’Sullivan 0-1, Brian Dillon 0-1, Alex Kirwan, Kieran Savage, Darren Sweeney 0-4, Eoin Walsh, Anthony Heffernan and Michael O’Sullivan.

SUB: Eoin Ahearne

REFEREE: Seamus Mullins (Clonmel)

In the Semi-final at Ned Hall Park Kilsheelan once again had to meet Ballybacon-Grange. When these teams met some weeks back Kilsheelan had six points to spare over a side that was very much understrength. On this occasion it was Kilsheelan, due to injuries etc were short five players and as things transpired they did not seem to be mentally prepared for the task.

From the start Ballybacon took the game to their opponents and were much the sharper side. They were fully focussed on over turning the previous result. Their defence was watertight where Brendan Walsh, David Lonergan and Brian Dillon led the way. They also controlled midfield where Tony Ryan was most prominent. In attack, they had a real livewire in Darren Sweeney while Jacko Savage and Andrew Heffernan always posed a threat.

The Kilsheelan defence were under constant pressure. Most prominent here were Shane Prendergast, Colm Sweeney and Robert Henebry. At centre field Daire Corcoran tried hardest in a losing battle while upfront Naoise O Cuinneagain and James Geraghty threatened most.

The match was virtually over as a contest after twenty minutes as the winners forced the Kilsheelan defence into many errors and in that period they shot four goals. The first was scored by Andrew Heffernan, No 2 arrived moments later when Ballybacon were awarded a free far out near the sideline and Brian Dillon’s shot eluded backs and forwards and the ball ended in the net. There was further disaster for Kilsheelan when the defence again failed to clear their lines with goals by Eoin Ahearne and Andrew Heffernan. However, this should not take anything from the winner’s performance as they capitalised on the chances that came their way and also had some well taken points to lead at the interval by 4-6 to 0-1. Kilsheelan’s lone point was scored by Darren Mc Carthy.

Early in the second half Kilsheelan did enjoy a good period of play but there was never any hope of them making any impression of the scoreline. A number of switches were made in defence and they tightened considerably. The winners remained in control and they had their last goal by sub Niall Fitzgerald just before the final whistle on a score of 5-11 to 0-5.

Ballybacon will go in to the Final. Further improvement will be needed as they come up against red hot favourites Carrick Davins. For Kilsheelan, with so many of the U/16 on board, may have their chance next year.

BALLYBACON-GRANGE: Liam Pollard, Eoin Mc Donagh, Brendan Walsh, Sean Costigan, Brian Dillon 1-1, David Lonergan, Diarmuid O’Sullivan, Colm Morrissey, Tony Ryan, Colm Darmody 0-1, Fergus Nugent, Eoin Ahearne 1-0, Jacko Savage 0-2, Andrew Heffernan 2-1 and Darren Sweeney 0-6.

SUBS: Niall Fitzgerald 1-0, Gerard Bannon, Eoin Walsh and Alex Kirwan.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Eoin Twohig, Colm Sweeney, David Guiry, Stephen O’Brien, Shane Prendergast, Robert Henebry, Daire Corcoran, Ross Larkin, Paul Denn 0-1, Darren Mc Carthy 0-2, Naoise O Cuinneagain 0-1, Ritchie Doyle, David Ryan and James Geraghty 0-1.

SUBS: Donnchadh Corcoran, Danny Harte and Riain O Cuinneagain

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

Despite being well beaten by Carrick Davins it should be noted that the Carrick side went on to win the County Title.


In the Pat Cleere sponsored first round championship match at Monroe, Kilsheelan-Kilcash’s strong finish in both halves was instrumental in their four point win over Clonmel Og.

This was a close entertaining game all through, so close in fact, that the last Kilsheelan point was the first time that four points separated the teams. A feature of the game was the many well taken scores from long range. Despite most of the scores being from frees it was played in a very sporting manner and only two yellow cards were produced.

Kilsheelan were first off the mark but it was mostly level pegging until the nineteenth minute when the town side were awarded a penalty. Paul Deady was trusted with the shot and he made no mistake for the only goal of the game. As the interval approached Clonmel Og led by 1-5 to 0-5. In the last two minutes Kilsheelan shot three quick points to leave the scores level.

A similar trend continued in the second half as points continued to be exchanged.  The winners were more successful in the art of free taking where Tommy Ryan and Senan O’Halloran shared the duties. With eight minutes remaining Clonmel Og’s Paul Cagney levelled the match for the sixth time to leave the score at 0-11 to 1-8. Kilsheelan had the upper hand after that. Tommy Ryan pointed a free just inside his own half, Senan O’Halloran had a point from play and the same player pointed two difficult frees in the dying moments to give his side a win they just about deserved on a scoreline of 0-15 to 1-8.

Best for Kilsheelan were Ian Coughlan, Shane Prendergast, Tommy & Eoin Ryan, Niall Walsh, Keith Condon and Senan O’Halloran.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Colm Sweeney, Shane Prendergast, George Stewart, Robert Henebry, Tommy Ryan 0-3, Niall Walsh, Eoin Ryan, Keith Condon, Senan O’Halloran 0-9, Michael Mc Hugh 0-2, Barry Cloona, Pádraic Hickey, David Hanrahan and James Geraghty 0-1.

SUBS: Ross Larkin and Anthony Walsh.

CLONMEL OG: Declan Fahey, John Cagney, Jerry Cunningham, John Gallagher, Brendan Maber, Des Morrissey, Conor Hogan, Shane Kearney 0-1, Paul Cagney 0-1, Paul Moroney, Dwane Burns 0-1, P J Fraher 0-2, Gary O’Shea, Paul Deady 1-3 and Gino Lonergan.

SUBS: Greg Carroll and Dean Madigan.

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

All the drama in this Pat Cleere sponsored quarter final came in the closing stages of normal time and the extra twenty minutes of extra time. Three times Kilsheelan had to come from behind when all seemed lost to snatch victory in the dying moments.

The first half was played at a pedestrian pace. Kilsheelan had the “man of the match” in their No.6 Tommy Ryan as his many clearances ensured his forwards had the lion’s share of the play which they were unable to translate into scores. In the second half the Cahir forward line were seeing more of the ball. They had two goals at crucial stages and for a long time they looked like being match winners. The Kilsheelan attack never looked like breaching the Cahir defence until the game took that dramatic turn in the closing stages.

Cahir opened the scoring when David Coffey pointed a free. Kilsheelan had a number of chances before Senan O’Halloran put the side’s level from a free and the same player had a point from play. David Coffey’s unerring accuracy from frees again had the sides level after nineteen minutes. After a period of stalemate Michael Mc Hugh found the target for the winners from the middle of the field. Almost immediately Anthony Walsh doubled his side’s advantage with a point. Just before the break David Coffey, from half way, pointed a free to leave Kilsheelan leading by 0-5 to 0-3.

On the restart Senan O’Halloran stretched Kilsheelan’s lead again from a placed ball. Cahir went on to enjoy their most productive period. A high ball was dropped in from the sideline James Brennan was first to react and with an overhead pull had the ball in the back on the net. A further point by David Coffey from a free left the score 1-4 to 0-5 after 43 minutes. It looked like Cahir’s day when Johnny Cantwell won possession and drove the ball to the net. The game was now being played at a faster pace. Kilsheelan applied pressure and forced a’65 which Tommy Ryan pointed. Johnny Cantwell brushed aside a number of defenders to add to Cahir’s points total. Senan O’Halloran, from a free, made it 2-5 to 0-8. David Coffey, from a ’65, drove over the bar and left Cahir looking good with five minutes left. Throughout the second half the Cahir goalmouth enjoyed plenty of action but never looked like conceding a goal up to now. With one minute left Michael Mc Hugh got possession when nothing seemed on and from twenty metres at an acute angle he sent a blistering shot to the roof of the net to give his side a lifeline. Kilsheelan again attacked, Mc Hugh got possession, soloed into space and drove over the equaliser to send the game to extra time on a score line of Kilsheelan 1-9 to Cahir’s 2-6.

The psychological advantage now rested with Kilsheelan but it was Cahir who regained the initiative when David Coffey pointed. Kilsheelan were unable to find a way towards the opposition’s goal while Cahir had further points from Mark Kearney and Johnny Cantwell. On the turnover Barry Mc Cormack made it 2-10 to 1-9 in favour of Cahir. Having rescued the game already Kilsheelan were prepared to do it once more. Anthony Walsh raced through the Cahir defence, hand passed inside to the unmarked Keith Condon who gave the goalkeeper no chance. The game was now back in the melting pot as both sets of supporters urged on their sides. One minute later Condon again got possession and sent over the equaliser. With the scent of victory in both camps the tempo of the game was raised a further notch and any mistake made from now on would be crucial. Time was almost up and a replay looked to be on the cards. Again Cahir got their noses in front when Mark Kearney made his way into space to shoot over the bar. With the game now in injury time the ball was lobbed in to the Cahir goal. Keith Condon was again in the right place at the right time to slam the ball to the net and time ran out for a Cahir reply. Over the eighty minutes the two teams provided great entertainment and it was a pity there had to be a loser. Final Score Kilsheelan 3-10 Cahir 2-11.

Best for Kilsheelan were Shane Prendergast, Tommy Ryan, Niall Walsh, Keith Condon, Eoin Ryan, Michael Mc Hugh and Anthony Walsh.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, George Stewart, Shane Prendergast, Michael Foley, Pádraic Hickey, Tommy Ryan 0-1, Niall Walsh, Keith Condon 2-2, Eoin Ryan, Michael Mc Hugh 1-2, Senan O’Halloran 0-4, David Hanrahan, Colm Sweeney, Anthony Walsh 0-1 and Ross Larkin.

SUBS: Lorcan Ryan for Ross Larkin, Daire Corcoran for George Stewart and Ross Larkin for Daire Corcoran.

CAHIR: Shane Casey, Aidan Burke, Kevin Queeney, John O’Brien, Colm Kennedy, Pakie O’Dwyer , Ger Halley, Liam O’Gorman, Aidan Casey, Mark Kearney 0-2, David Coffey 0-6, James Brennan 1-0, Patrick Bourke, Johnny Cantwell 1-2 and Kevin Mc Guire.

SUBS: Eric Flannery for Patrick Bourke, Barry Mc Cormack 0-1 for Keith Mc Guire, Liam Meehan for James Brennan and James Brennan for Liam Meehan.

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

This result put Kilsheelan through to the Semi-Final which took place at Monroe. In an absorbing contest at Monroe against St Mary’s. This match had all the makings of a close contest and it was too close to call. Unfortunately, the weather conditions militated against good hurling with visibility poor due to misty conditions. There was no wind which resulted in a very slippery surface making it very difficult for the players to show their skills. Full marks to both teams who gave their all in energy sapping conditions.

In the early stages Kilsheelan had the greater share of the play but could make little headway against a sound St Mary’s defence. As the half wore on the winners attack saw more of the action but were unable to capitalise on their chances. The free takers Brian Carroll for St Mary’s and Senan O’Halloran for the losers came in to this game with impressive credentials. Over the hour both were off target on quite a number of occasions and this also contributed to a low scoring contest.

The second half followed a similar pattern with little between the sides on the scoreboard. In the battle of the goalmouths it was Kilsheelan who had to defend most and could thank Ian Coughlan on many occasions for coming to the rescue but right up to the final whistle it was anyone’s game.

The match was fourteen minutes old before the first score arrived. Kilsheelan’s Ian Coughlan  was forced to come off his line but Ciaran O’Connell’s looping shot was out of his reach and he was unable to prevent it from crossing the line. Kilsheelan missed a number of chances from frees and from play and had to wait twenty two minutes for their opening score. This was a point from a free by Senan O’Halloran. Shortly after that Michael Mc Carthy pointed for St Mary’s and Brian Carroll, from a free, left four points between the sides. Coming up to half time Kilsheelan were awarded a free 65 metres out and near the sideline. Tommy Ryan’s shot came back off the upright and Ross Larkin was on the spot to slam the ball to the net. This left the score at 1-2 to 1-1 in favour of St Mary’s at the break.

On the resumption, scores were again at a premium. Good approach work by Anthony Walsh resulted in James Geraghty putting Kilsheelan on level terms. St Mary’s regained the lead when a long delivery was ceased on by sub Paul Ryan who broke through for a goal. This was shortlived when Niall Walsh carried the ball towards the St Mary’s goal. His delivery was met by David Hanrahan to drive the ball home. St Mary’s again went in search of the lead score. Kilsheelan’s goalmouth had a number of lucky escapes before John O’Mahony drove over the bar after forty four minutes. The mist was now getting heavier and making conditions even more difficult. Seven minutes later Senan O’Halloran, from a free, tied up the scores once again. This was as good as it got for Kilsheelan. Moments later Brian Carroll was wide from a free but he quickly made amends from a similar effort to put the Clonmel side ahead and this was followed by another point by Niall Kelly. With time running out Pádraic Hickey sent over a free for Kilsheelan. His side pressed hard for the equaliser in injury time but were unable to do so and St Mary’s were just about deserving winners on a score line of 2-5 to 2-4.

For Kilsheelan Ian Coughlan, Shane Prendergast, Pádraic Hickey, Tommy Ryan, Eoin Ryan, David Hanrahan and James Geraghty did best.

ST MARY’s: Mark Tobin, Conor Mc Carthy, Padraig Leahy, Keith O’Brien, Brendan Costello, Declan Power, Michael Feeney, Kevin Ryan, Brian Carroll 0-2, Barry Gibbons, John O’Mahony 0-1, Timmy Ryan, Michael Mc Carthy 0-1, Niall Kelly 0-1 and Ciaran O’Connell 1-0.

SUBS: Brian Mc Donald for Brendan Costello, Paul Ryan 1-0 for Timmy Ryan and Diarmuid Butler for Michael Mc Carthy,

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Michael Foley, Shane Prendergast, Colm Sweeney, Pádraic Hickey 0-1, Tommy Ryan, Lorcan Ryan, Niall Walsh, Eoin Ryan, David Hanrahan 1-0, Anthony Walsh, Senan O’Halloran 0-2, Ross Larkin 1-0, Keith Condon and James Geraghty 0-1.

SUB: Oisin O’Cuinneagain for Ross Larkin

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)


This team had a mixture of veterans and youth and whatever preparations were done was with the Intermediate and Minor teams. The first game was against St Patricks at Mullinahone. Played under wet and misty conditions St Patrick’s got off to the best possible start when they had a deserved six point win over Kilsheelan-Kilcash in the Europlan “B” championship.  

The winners were the better balanced side where their defence always had the upper hand and their attack were more adept in taking their scores. From the start Kilsheelan-Kilcash found it difficult to impress their authority on the game and had to play catch up all the way. As one would expect at this level, the first touch often left a lot to be desired. However, this did not prevent both sides from providing an entertaining hours hurling.

In the first half Noel Lyons and Adrian Britton were the chief scorers for St Patrick’s and at the interval led by 0-5 to 0-3. On the resumption Kilsheelan reduced the leeway only for the winners to go further ahead. With nine minutes to go Kilsheelan were handed a lifeline when sub Shane Geoghegan’s excellent ground shot from 20 metres registered the only goal of the game. In the closing stages St Patrick’s picked off some fine points and had they been more accurate up front would have triumphed by a bigger margin than the 0-14 to 1-5 scoreline.

ST PATRICK’S: Ian Hickey, Anthony Barry, Michael Britton, Pakie Brett, Derek Noonan, Mark Mc Cormack, Tom Burke, Dermot Molloy, Conor Barry, Eoghan Mc Cormack, Tom O’Connor 0-2, Adrian Britton 0-4, Philip Britton 0-2, Mick O’Connell 0-1  and Noel Lyons 0-5.

SUBS: Robert Mc Cormack and T J Keane.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: David Power, George Stewart, Shane Prendergast, Eddie O’Connell, Peter O’Connell, John Larkin, Colm Sweeney 0-1, Aidan Walsh, Adrian Walsh 0-1, Ross Larkin, John Geraghty, Keith Robinson 0-1, Roger Doyle, Sean Nugent 0-2 and Michael Dempsey.

SUBS: Anthony Walsh, Shane Geoghegan 1-0 and John Doolan.

REFEREE: Paddy Ivors (Ballingarry) 

The old saying “a good start is half the battle” would be the best way to describe Cahir’s seven point win over Kilsheelan-Kilcash in this game played at Fethard.  In the early stages Cahir had 1-2 on the board, the goal coming from Ger O’Gorman. They were the better side throughout the first half and at the interval led by 1-6 to 0-4.

In the second half Kilsheelan put in a bigger effort and reduced the leeway. Cahir would have had a greater tally but for some fine saves by Kilsheelan goalkeeper David Power. In the closing stages Cahir regained the initiative and were worthy winners in the end.

Best for Cahir were Richard Sweetman, Kevin Queeney, Tom O’Gorman, Pakie O’Dwyer, Matty Connors, Noel Cotter and Ger O’Gorman. For Kilsheelan David Power, Colm Sweeney, Shane Prendergast, Richard Mc Mahon, Keith Robinson, Pierce Larkin and Sean Nugent performed best.

TEAM: CAHIR: Larry Molan, Colm Kennedy, Richard Sweetman, John B O’Brien, Liam O’Gorman, Kevin Queeney, Eamon Halley, Tom O’Gorman, Pakie O’Dwyer 0-2, Noel Cotter 0-4, Andrew Hyland 0-1, Noel O’Gorman, John O’Brien 0-3, Matty Cummins 0-5 and Ger O’Gorman 1-0.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: David Power, Robert Hennebry, Richard Mc Mahon, Michael Dempsey, Colm Sweeney, Shane Prendergast, George Stewart, Keith Robinson, Pierce Larkin 0-3, Liam Robinson, Anthony Walsh, Ross Larkin, Sean Nugent 0-8, Richard Crotty and John Doolan.

SUBS: Eddie O’Connell for Ross Larkin and Keith O’Brien for Michael Dempsey.

REFEREE: Martin Doyle (Ardfinnan)


In the County Intermediate Hurling League Kilsheelan got off to a poor start against St Patrick’s when going down by 0-15 to 0-9. St Pat’s proved to be tough opposition. Due mainly to John Roche accuracy from frees it was 0-6 at the interval. The winners got on top from the restart. Despite our side being short a number of players full credit to St Pat’s who were worthy winners in the end.

TEAM: Ian Coughlan, Keith Condon, Dan O’Connor, Michael Ryan, Eoin Ryan, Tommy Ryan, Noel Ryan, Peter O’Connell, Martin Larkin, Pakie Larkin, John Roche 0-8, Senan O’Halloran, Johnny Cahill 0-1, Paddy Nugent and David Hanrahan.

SUBS: Edward Sweeney, Colm Sweeney, Sean Nugent and Keith Robinson.

In the next game Kilsheelan were away to Arravale Rovers and lost by a ten point margin.

In their final League match they travelled to New Inn to take on Rockwell Rovers. They were short a number of players and lost by 3-11 to 0-12. Scorers were John Roche 0-6, William Larkin 0-3, Keith Robinson 0-2 and Tommy Ryan 0-1.

Preparation for the championship was not what it should have been. Getting someone to train the team was a major problem eventually Michael Walsh from Clonea agreed to come on board.  Training went well initially but interest waned as time went by and it was no surprise that Michael Walsh resigned the post. Later still Noel Russell of Carrick Swan took the post. Despite his positive attitude he did not get the required response from the players              

Next opponents were Carrick Davins at Monroe. They continued on their winning way in the Martins Fruit and Veg intermediate hurling championship with a convincing win over Kilsheelan Kilcash in a very competitive game. Kilsheelan Kilcash fielded out a relatively young side with a number who were making their debut in this grade, they also had a few of their more experienced players who have served them well over the years and need not be to unhappy at the result as in the circumstances they fought out the game to the final whistle even though Davins ended up convincing winners at the final whistle.

There was little between the sides in the early stages with every ball strongly contested. Davins had a few early wides until Shane Butler opened their account with a point from play. John Roche levelled in the sixth minute from a free and this really was the pattern of the first half with exchanges of points from both sides with most of the scores coming from placed balls. The Kilsheelan Kilcash defence stood firm in spite of a lot of pressure from Davins but tended to foul on far too many occasions and were punished for the resultant frees. The pattern at the other end was somewhat the same with most of the Kilsheelan scores coming from placed balls per John Roche who was on the mark from the frees. At half time it was anyone’s game with just two points between the sides Davins 0-8  Kilsheelan Kilcash 0-6

The turning point of the game came early into the second half when a high ball hit by Conor Arrigan dropped in under the crossbar for a goal to put Davins suddenly five points in the clear and leaving Kilsheelan Kilcash chasing the game from thereon in. It was hard luck for young Ian Coughlan making his debut in the Kilsheelan goal, he was having a brilliant game but the strong sun no doubt contributed to his lack of vision of this ball and left him disappointed to see the green flag waving. Davins turned on the style after this score with the pressure now off them they began to hurl more fluently and they showed some lovely touches of skill as the half progressed. The game continued to be competitive as Kilsheelan tried every thing to narrow the gap, they came close to getting a goal on one occasion when a ball passed by Liam Stokes was not taken advantage of and the chance went astray. Frustration crept into Kilsheelan’s play as the game came into the last quarter and they lost a man to two yellow cards, some silly fouling also lead to their demise and gave the opportunity to Davins to distance themselves by pointing the resultant frees. Davins were strong throughout the field, in defence A.J.Cronin and Ritchie McGrath were outstanding, Conor Arrigan was a major factor in the midfield area while up front the Butler brothers were a constant threat. For Kilsheelan the young Ian Coughlan in goal is a star in the making and Keith Condon and Jim and Thomas Ryan and Martin Larkin tried hard in defence. Up front John Roche was the only real threat to the Davins defence and had a fine tally of scores mostly from frees. Final Score 1-15 to 0-9 in favour of Carrick Davins.

CARRICK DAVINS: Lee Mackey, Michael Cronin, Michael Hackett, A J Cronin, Michael Ryan, Ritchie Mc Grath, John Kelly, Conor Arrigan 1-8. Brian Murphy, Gerry Robinson 0-2, Michael Whelan, Sean Cronin, Seamus Butler 0-2, Paul Tobin 0-1 and Nicky Butler 0-2.
SUB: Luke Foran

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Keith Condon, Dan O’Connor, Jimmy Ryan, Martin Larkin, Tommy Ryan, Michael Ryan, Willie Ryan, Edward Sweeney, Pakie Larkin, John Roche 0-8, William Larkin, Johnny Cahill, Liam Stokes 0-1 and Senan O’Halloran.

REFEREE: Noel Cosgrove (Marlfield)

Kilsheelan’s next match was against Fr Sheehy’s and took place at Monroe. The early exchanges were close. The Clogheen side were guilty of a number of wides from easy positions. At the other end Kilsheelan were more economical with their chances. After the break the winners were a different side. By the time they drew level the writing was on the wall for Kilsheelan. As the game progressed they grew in confidence. Their defence led by John Corbett and Ritchie Mc Grath dealt capably with anything Kilsheelan had to offer. At midfield Owen Myers was a tower of strength and their attack as a unit always posed a threat.

Kilsheelan did reasonably well in the first half and could be satisfied at the interval scoreline. After half time they began to concede goals and were unable to raise their game. Defensive errors played a big part in the goals but full credit to the winners for taking them. Ian Coughlan in their goal could not be faulted as he cleared his lines many times and his puck outs were a bonus. The attack became less potent as the half progressed and indictment of this was that they failed to score in this period.

Pakie Larkin put Kilsheelan ahead after three minutes only for Owen Myers to put the side’s level from a free. After nine minutes Kilsheelan had the opening goal. Senan O’Halloran soloed through the Fr Sheehy’s defence. His shot was blocked by the goalkeeper only for veteran Liam Stokes to capitalise on the rebound to send the ball to the net. The sides were soon on level terms when Owen Myers goaled from a free just outside the 20 metre line.

Kilsheelan again went ahead when Senan O’Halloran and John Roche shot points. They had their second goal when David Hanrahan soloed along the end line, made an angle for himself, and shot to the net. Both sides went on to miss chances with the winners the more guilty ones. Liam Fleming got a point back but Kilsheelan finished the stronger with points by Senan O’Halloran and Johnny Cahill to leave the interval scored 2-6 to 1-2.

Whatever the Fr Sheehy’s mentors said at half time had the desired effect. There was hesitancy  in the Kilsheelan defence when a ball that seemed to be going wide was ceased on by Thomas Tierney and he goaled. Moments later the lead was down to the minimum as John Sheehan drove to the net after the Kilsheelan goalkeeper was forced to come off his line. By the twelfth minute Owen Hally had the sides level with a point. They led for the first time when Owen Myers pointed two frees. There was no way back for Kilsheelan as the winners pressed home their advantage. In the closing stages they had further points from Thomas Tierney, Owen Myers, two from frees, and Tierney had the last word to leave six points between the teams on a final score of 3-9 to 2-6.

FR SHEEHY’S: Brendan Walsh, Michael Myles, John Corbett, Paul Noonan, Pat Ryan, Ritchie Mc Grath, Declan English, Owen Myers 1-5, P J Myles, Pat Mulcahy, Liam Fleming 0-1, Owen Hally 0-1, John Sheehan 1-0, Philip Ryan and Thomas Tierney 1-2.

SUBS: John D Sweeney for Paul Noonan, John Noonan for Philip Ryan and Liam Condon for Pat Mulcahy.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Keith Condon, Dan O’Connor, Jimmy Ryan, Eoin Ryan, Tommy Ryan, Peter O’Connell, Willie Ryan, Martin Larkin, Senan O’Halloran 0-2, John Roche 0-1, Pakie Larkin 0-1, Johnny Cahill 0-1, Liam Stokes 1-1 and David Hanrahan 1-0.

SUBS: John Geraghty for Liam Stokes, Paddy Nugent for Johnny Cahill and Niall Walsh for Dan O’Connor.

REFEREE: Andy Moloney (Cahir)

In the next game Kilsheelan played Ballybacon-Grange at Clonmel where both sides badly needed the points. Both sides made a poor start to the championship and nothing less than a win was required. Despite these two points in the bag Ballybacon need to continue their wining streak in their bid for a Semi-Final place. For Kilsheelan, they have one more game to play but they are out of contention.

The game was played in a constant drizzle. The greasy hard surface made it difficult for players to stay on their feet. While the fare would not be out of the top drawer it proved to be an interesting contest until Ballybacon pulled away some fifteen minutes for the end. Despite the closeness of the scores up to then one always felt the winners had that bit extra to stay in front. In the later stages exchanges became somewhat robust. Kilsheelan were reduced to fourteen players while Ballybacon could consider themselves lucky to finish with the full compliment.

The winners who led all the way opened the scoring after two minutes when Peter Halley pointed. Their early pressing continued and they were rewarded with points from Johnny English and Declan Walsh. Kilsheelan came more into the game but were off target a number of times. Ballybacon further increased their score when Ken O’Shea pointed. Kilsheelan went on to apply some pressure and had their first point after fourteen minutes from a John Roche ‘65. Declan Walsh was again on the mark for the winners. Kilsheelan again reduced the leeway when he pointed a free from long distance and this was cancelled at the other when Shane Sweeney picked up a loose ball and drove over the bar. The same player was again on the mark when he was on the end of a fine inter passing movement. Not to be outdone Kilsheelan responded with a similar movement resulting in a point by William Larkin. John Roche reduced the leeway further with a point and just before the break Declan Walsh sent over the bar for Ballybacon leaving his side ahead by 0-7 to 0-5.

On the resumption the winners continued where they left off and had points from Alan O’Gorman and Michael English. After a lull in the scoring John Roche pointed a free for Kilsheelan. Despite only three points ahead the winners always looked in control. From Kilsheelan’s point of view their task was proving difficult as they lacked scoring power upfront.  John English widened the gap further with a point. Kilsheelan sub Eddie Sweeney made his presence felt with a point. Ballybacon continued to press home their advantage. In their next attack they had the first goal of the game. Ian Coughlan in the Kilsheelan goal made a great save but in the ensuing play Declan Walsh drove to the net.  Kilsheelan, who were very dependant on John Roche for their scores was again on the mark. With a numerical advantage Ballybacon made most of it as Alan Condon pointed, Michael English shot a goal and in the closing minutes Shane Sweeney was twice on the mark as Ballybacon ran out clear winners by  2-13 to 0-8.

BALLYBACON-GRANGE: Brendan Cummins, Barry O’Gorman, Albert Keating, James Hackett, Pa Norton, Brian Condon, Peter Halley 0-1, John English 0-2, Brian Phelan, Shane Sweeney 0-3, Michael English 1-1, Brian Lonergan, Declan Walsh 1-3, Kenny O’Shea 0-1 and Alan O’Gorman 0-2.

SUBS: Sean Maher for Ken O’Shea and John Murphy for Declan Walsh.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Keith Condon, Dan O’Connor, Noel Ryan, Peter O’Connell, Tommy Ryan, Eoin Ryan, Willie Ryan, Martin Larkin, William Larkin 0-1, Pakie Larkin, John Roche 0-6, Johnny Cahill, Jim Ryan and David Hanrahan.

SUBS: Edward Sweeney 0-1 for David Hanrahan.

REFEREE: P J Hassett (Marlfield)

Kilsheelan had one final match to play and this was at home to Fethard. With nothing now at stake interest was minimal and Kilsheelan lined out very much under strength. Having no incentive to win it was no surprise that they found in difficult to acquire an appetite for the task. In no way should this take away from Fethard’s win. From the opening whistle they quickly showed their intent. Goalkeeper Paul Fitzgerald dealt capably with whatever came his way. They also had key men down the middle. The long serving Michael Ryan, until he got injured, and Tomas Keane impressed further out. At midfield they had man of the match in Aidan Fitzgerald who had a personal tally of eight points and also had a hand in setting up scores for his colleagues. Upfront they had match winners in Kieran Treacy, Kenneth O’Donnell and Brian Coen.

For Kilsheelan an uphill battle was always on the cards. Full back Dan O’Connor and Tommy Ryan outside him were the pick of the defence. Martin Larkin tried hard at midfield. Up front there was little penetration and only John Roche and Jimmy Ryan made any impression.

Fethard made the best possible start. They were awarded a close in free in the first minute and Kieran Treacy drove through a surprised Kilsheelan defence. Minutes later they had their second goal when Michael Spillane soloed in from the wing he was dispossessed and the ball fell invitingly for Kieran Treacy and he made no mistake. Kilsheelan had to wait 12 minutes for their opening score which came from John Roche. Fethard now well on top picked up their points from all angles. Late in the half Kilsheelan had their only goal. Jimmy Ryan showed a fine piece of opportunism as he gathered the ball about thirty yards out and worked himself into a favourable position and shot to the corner of the net. Fethard went on to lead at the interval by 2-12 to 1-3.

On the resumption Jimmy Ryan won possession near the sideline and from a tight angle sent over the bar. Fethard remained in control. However, Kilsheelan put in a more spirited second half performance and matched Fethard scores for about ten minutes. Any semblance of a comeback never looked likely and for the rest of the game Fethard continued to add to their tally and eventually won by 2-21 to 1-8.

FETHARD: Paul Fitzgerald, Shane Walsh, Michael Ryan, Michael Carroll, Tomas Keane 0-1, Michael Ahearne, Jamie Mc Cormack, Michael Dillon 0-1, Aidan Fitzgerald 0-8, Kenneth O’Donnell 0-3, P J Ahearne 0-1, Brian Coen 0-2, Kieran Treacy 2-4, Michael Spillane 0-1 and Alan Phelan

SUBS: Alan Burke for Michael Ryan, John Leahy for Brian Coen and Karl Maher for Kieran Treacy.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Ian Coughlan, Keith Condon, Dan O’Connor, Noel Ryan, Peter O’Connell, Tommy Ryan, Niall Walsh, Martin Larkin 0-1, Eoin Ryan 0-1, Pakie Larkin, John Roche 0-4, Senan O’Halloran, John Geraghty, Jimmy Ryan 1-1 and Edward Sweeney 0-1.

SUBS: Colm Sweeney for Edward Sweeney and George Stewart for John Geraghty.

REFEREE: Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

The U/21 Semi-Final against St Mary’s was played on the 16th October and this brought down the curtain on the Club’s activities for 2005.






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here