Match Reports 2003



In the opening round of the Championship Kilsheelan/Kilcash rarely looked in danger of defeat when they had six points to spare over Fr Sheehy’s at Ardfinnan. Playing with the wind, the Clogheen side looked the stronger in the opening minutes when Andrew Sweeney pointed two frees.  The winners quickly established their superiority with points from Brian Dempsey and Barry Cloona.  The nearest they came to a goal was when they were awarded a penalty but the resultant kick was sent wide. Kilsheelan continued to have the upperhand but had to rely on a Michael Mc Hugh point to give them a half time lead of 0-3 to 0-2.

After the interval a similar trend ensued.  Both sides were guilty of misdirected passes and inaccurate finishing. Michael Mc Hugh continued to add to Kilsheelan’s total. Fr Sheehy’s brought their best attacker Andrew Sweeney to midfield to break Kilsheelan’s monopoly but it was to no avail as their attack failed to respond. The last mentioned scored their only second half point which was cancelled out by a like score from Patrick Walsh. The final ten minutes were scoreless as Kilsheelan remained in control to win to 0-9 to 0-3.

Best for the winners were Michael O’Reilly, George Stewart, Oisin O Cuinneagain, Eoin Ryan (B) and Michael Mc Hugh. For Fr Sheehy’s Pat Moran, Paul Condon, Ger Norris, Pat Mulcahy and Andrew Sweeney were best.

Full marks to one of our young referees Derek O’Mahony from Ardfinnan who did a fine job and was firm and fair in his decisions all the way through.     

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Keith Condon. David Hanrahan, Michael O’Reilly, Shane Prendergast, Shane Geoghegan, Tommy Ryan, George Stewart, Oisin O Cuinneagain, PatrickWalsh  0-1, Barry Cloona 0-1, Eoin Ryan (B), Michael Mc Hugh 0-6, Brian Dempsey 0-1, Senan O’Halloran and Stephen Cloona.

SUBS: Keiran Gibbs, Shane Crotty, Shane Corcoran and William Walsh.

FR SHEEHY’S: Michael Myles, Pat Moran, Paul Condon, Stephen Fitzpatrick, Brian O’Brien, Ger Norris, Christy Smith, John O’Connor, Pat Mulcahy, Thomas O’Donnell, Sean Creed, Brendan Walsh, James Mulcahy, Andrew Sweeney 0-3 and Kevin Fitzgerald.

SUB: Damien Flynn

The next match was against Cahir at Monroe. On this occasion Kilsheelan were hampered by suspension and injuries. At the end of the first half they were only two points behind. Cahir took control in the second half and piled on the scores. Despite a goal by Oisin O’ Cuinneagain Kilsheelan never looked like getting back into the game as Cahir went on to win by 2-12 to 1-5.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Shane Prendergast, David Hanrahan, Michael O’Reilly, William Walsh, Michael Foley, Tommy Ryan, George Stewart, Oisin O Cuinneagain 1-0, Eoin Ryan (B), Stephen Cloona, Shane Geoghegan 0-3, Senan o’Halloran, Ciaran Gibbs, Senan O’Halloran 0-2 and Barry Cloona.

For the third match we had to travel to Carrick to play St Patrick’s.  In order to reach the Semi-Finals a

win here was needed. Kilsheelan had first use of the elements and established an early lead.  They received a boost when Michael Mc Hugh’s long range free went all the way to the net. Coming up to half

time the winners got back into the game with a goal from Sean Horan. On that note it should be said that the last named and Kilsheelan’s Michael Mc Hugh were the two best players on the field. At the interval Kilsheelan led by 1-6 to 1-4.

After the break both sides exchanged points. Kilsheelan attacked and when the ball came back off the post and the ensuing play Kilsheelan were awarded a penalty which Michael Mc Hugh expertly placed in the corner of the net to give the goalkeeper no chance. With the aid of the elements St Pat’s got on top and quickly replied with a goal from Simon O’ Donovan. After 50 minutes they were two points ahead and looked set for victory.  Kilsheelan bombarded the St Pat’s goal in the closing minutes but they could not get the priceless goal as the winners defence held firm to win by 2-8 to 2-6.

St Patrick’s: John Molloy, Colm Murphy, Liam Horan, William Phelan, Dermot Molloy, Mark Mc Cormack, Tom Mc Grath, Sean Horan 1-5, C J O’Halloran, Kevin Dempsey, Brian Mc Cormack 0-2, Brian Hickey, Philip Britton, Simon O’Donovan 1-0 and Thomas Mc Cormack.

SUB; Danny Gleeson 0-1

Kilsheelan/Kilcash:  Stephen Prendergast, David Hanrahan, Michael O’Reilly, William Walsh, Michael Foley, Tommy Ryan, George Stewart, Oisin O Cuinneagan, Eoin Ryan(B),Barra Cloona, Shane Geoghegan, Senan O’Halloran 0-1, Ciaran Gibbs, Michael Mc Hugh 2-5 and Shane Crotty.

SUBS:  Brian Richards and Brian Dempsey.

REFEREE:    Brian Tyrell (St Mary’s)

Having lost this match it put us out of contention and the remaining match against Ballingarry was not played.

The County Board organised a League for all the Clubs in the County and was to be played during the exams.  Teams were to be 13 a side as it was felt that Clubs would have difficulty fielding teams due to the exams.

In the opening match we were at home to Rockwell Rovers.  We had great difficulty in making up the numbers to play due to the exams. As the game reached its closing stages we were behind by 2-6 to 2-4. Kilsheelan were awarded a penalty but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH:  Colm Sweeney, Shane Prendergast, Michael O’Reilly, Michael Foley, George Stewart, Shane Geoghegan 0-1, Eoin Ryan (B), Barry Cloona 0-1, Frank Strang, Tommy Ryan 1-1, Shane Crotty 1-0, Ian Coughlan 0-1 and Ciaran Gibbs.

In the next match we would have been further depleted and it was decided to withdraw from the competition.


In the opening round Kilsheelan-Kilcash took on Newcastle at Ballyneale. Despite the heavy rain the pitch was in excellent condition giving both sides the opportunity to display their skills.

Kilsheelan had first use of the strong wind and had their opening point from Pierce Larkin. They continued to press but had to depend on Michael Mc Hugh from frees to put them five points up. 

Newcastle had their first score when Emmet Hallinan pointed after fifteen minutes. Kilsheelan pushed forward again. A long delivery from Anthony Walsh which was gathered by David Power and he drove

through for a goal and the same player quickly added a point. Newcastle hit back with an Emmet Hallinan point. Hallinan then did the spade work as he put John Lonergan through for a goal.  Kilsheelan’s reply was instant. Pa Walsh found the unmarked Pierce Larkin and he shot to the net to leave Kilsheelan leading at half time by 2-6 to 1-2.

After the interval Newcastle with the help of the elements pushed forward with Paudie O’Shea and Emmet Hallinan points.  In their next attack Kilsheelan defence were caught out of place- the ball reached the unmarked Paudie O’Shea and he worked his way through for a goal. Jimmy Ryan tacked on a point for Kilsheelan while John Lonergan did likewise at the other end.  Both sides had a player sent to the line for what was more handbag stuff than any malicious intent. In the closing stages the game deteriorated as Kilsheelan had the upperhand but they failed to translate into scores.  They did have the last word when Michael Mc Hugh and John Walsh pointed to leave Kilsheelan winners by 2-9 to 2-5.

KILSHEELAN- KILCASH:  Stephen Mc Grath, John Doolan, Oisin O’ Cuinneagan, Peter O’Connell, Niall Walsh, Jimmy Ryan 0-1, Tommy Ryan , John Walsh 0-1, Anthony Walsh, Edmond Walsh, Pierce Larkin 1-1, Pa Walsh, Eoin Ryan (K), David Power 1-1 and Michael Mc Hugh 0-5.

SUBS: Shane Geoghegan and Eoin Ryan(B).

NEWCASTLE: Niall Sweeney, John Hallinan, Frank Hallinan, P J Mulcahy, Shane Mangan, Eamon Fitzpatrick, Barry Cullinane, Alan Sweeney, Tomas O’Dwyer, Mark Lonergan, John Lonergan 1-1, Emmet Hallinan 0-3, Niall O’Dwyer, Paudie O’Shea 1-1 and John Egan.

SUB: D J Condon

REFEREE: Charlie Boland (Moyle Rovers)

In the next match we had to travel to Fethard to take on Clonmel Óg in the Semi-Final.

The ideal conditions allowed both sides the opportunity to make the best use of their resources.  In this area Kilsheelan were the masters all the way.  The above scoreline does not give a true picture of the

game. The Clonmel side got plenty chances of building up a greater score. Kilsheelan were the better balanced side.  They took their points when the opportunities arose and for the most part they looked likely winners.

Kilsheelan playing against the breeze opened the scoring after four minutes when Michael Mc Hugh pointed a free. The Clonmel side missed a number of chances before Jonathon O’Donoghue put them level. Eoin Ryan (K) and Eoin Aylward went on to exchange points. Clonmel Og went ahead when Paul Cagney pointed from an acute angle only for Eoin Ryan to put Kilsheelan on level terms again. Jonathon O’Donoghue restored his side’s slender advantage with a point. Kilsheelan kept in touch with a point from a long range free by Michael Mc Hugh and the same player again pointed moments later. From the kickout, Pierce Larkin fielded a high ball and worked his way through for a fine solo point.  This left Kilsheelan ahead at the interval by 0-6 to 0-4.

In the second half, Kilsheelan remained in control and they had a brace of points by Michael Mc Hugh. Eoin Fallon kept the losers in touch with a point. The match was more or less decided when with fifteen minutes to go Michael Mc Hugh’s delivery was deflected by David Power into the path of Eoin Ryan and he made no mistake for a goal. However, Clonmel Og received a lifeline when a Kilsheelan player was sidelined for an off the ball offence – they failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage. Kilsheelan second goal came when Patrick Walsh’s quickly taken free found the unmarked Anthony Walsh.  His shot was brilliantly saved by Keith Madigan but unfortunately for him it rebounded off a defender to the net. With time nearly up Michael Mc Hugh had the final say with a pointed free to leave Kilsheelan winners by 2-9 to 0-5.

Kilsheelan had excellent defenders in Oisin O Cuinneagain, Niall Walsh and Tommy Ryan.  John Walsh was best at midfield and in attack Michael Mc Hugh’s unerring accuracy from frees and Eoin Ryan were best.

Best in defence for Clonmel Óg were Simon Rouse, Liam and Des Morrissey. At midfield Ian Purcell had his moments and in attack Jonathon O’Donoghue and Eoin Aylward were best.

Kilsheelan/Kilcash: Stephen Mc Grath, Niall Walsh,  Oisin O Cuinneagain, Peter O’Connell, Christy Ryan, Jim Ryan, Tommy Ryan, John Walsh, Pierce Larkin 0-1, Anthony Walsh 1-0, David Power, Patrick Walsh, Michael Mc Hugh 0-6, Jim Healy and Eoin Ryan (K) 1-2.

SUBS: Eoin Ryan (B), Tomas O’Dwyer and John Doolan.

Clonmel Og: Keith Madigan, Aidan Rouse, Liam Morrissey, Chris Gallagher, Karl Kearney, Des Morrissey, Simon Rouse, Ian Purcell, Dean Madigan, Owen Fallon 0-1, Jonathon O’Donoghue 0-2, Owen Alyward 0-1, Paul Cagney 0-1, Andrew Laste and Patrick O ‘Donnell.

SUBS: Shane Kearney and John O’Neill

REFEREE:  Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers)

In the Final Carrick Davins were our opponents and the game was fixed for Monroe. Kilsheelan mentors Jim Healy, Michael Power and Tommy Lonergan stepped up the training a further gear. Unfortunately they had to field without Eoin Ryan(K) who had received a three month suspension for having been sent off in the match against Clonmel Óg.

Backed by the elements Davins got off to the better start and with Paul Coady leading the way at centre field they went three points clear after four minutes.  Kilsheelan kept in touch with points from Pierce Larkin and Michael Mc Hugh. Davins added two further points but Kilsheelan then struck a vital blow when David Power took a pass from Edmond Walsh and with a cracking shot found the back of the net and at half time with the score tied at 1-3 to 0-6 Kilsheelan looked to the second half with confidence.

Davins again set the pace when Coady pointed. Kilsheelan now wind assisted were inspired by a magnificent long range point by Pierce Larkin. The same player along with Michael Mc Hugh and David Power notched up further points to leave the score 1-9 to 0-7.  Paul Coady then had Carrick’s final score and in injury time Michael Mc Hugh landed his sixth point. The final whistle was greeted with joy by the Kilsheelan supporters as they raced on to congratulate their heros by 1-10 to 0-9. This was also the first time the Club won this competition.  After the game Chairman Barry O’Brien accompanied by Divisional Secretary Sean Nugent, himself a Kilsheelan man, presented the cup to the winning Captain midfielder Johnny Walsh.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Stephen Mc Grath, Niall Walsh, Oisin O Cuinnegain, Peter O’Connell, Christy Ryan, Jimmy Ryan, Tommy Ryan, Johnny Walsh, Anthony Walsh, Edmond Walsh, Pierce Larkin 0-3, Senan O’Halloran, Eoin Ryan (B) David Power 1-1 and Michael Mc Hugh 0-6.

SUBS: Shane Geoghegan for Anthony Walsh and Jim Healy for Shane Geoghegan

CARRICK DAVINS: Aidan Hitchens, Martin Redmond, Noel Butler, Eddie Mc Grath, Damien Lonergan, Ger Robinson, Michael Ryan, Stephen Cronin, Paul Coady 0-5, Alan Redmond 0-1, Ritchie Mc Grath 0-1, Shane Butler 0-1, Michael Hackett, Martin Walsh and John Paul Mc Grath.

REFEREE: Paudie Sweeney (Newcastle)

A County Semi-Final now beckoned. The opposition was Lattin-Cullen and the venue was New Inn. On a sun soaked Friday evening the western standard bearers made the early running and had the opening score from Billy Condon followed up with a Paul Ryan. Kilsheelan had their first point after five minutes from David Power and Michael Mc Hugh levelled with a pointed free. Anthony Walsh worked his way out of defence and found Pierce Larkin and put Kilsheelan ahead for the first time. They increased their lead when Michael Mc Hugh (from a free) and David Power had points. Lattin- Cullen who were finding it difficult to pass a solid Kilsheelan half back line finally got through with three minutes to half time Dermot Leahy passed to James Breen who drilled home the only goal of the game to leave the scores tied at the interval. Kilsheelan’s overall command of play and possession when they had a tally of eight wides with one for the opposition.

On the resumption Kilsheelan forced two 45’s but no score resulted. Michael Mc Hugh restored the lead with a pointed free. Kilsheelan introduced Jim Healy and with his height advantage he won a lot of possession and they bombarded the Lattin goal. However, Lattin fought back with a point from Paul Ryan to leave the sides level again. In the 40th minute Eoin Ryan (B) broke the deadlock with a point and nine minutes later who had kicked six wides in thirteen minutes went two up when Michael Mc Hugh pointed.

They were now in control and further points by Pierce Larkin, Michael Mc Hugh (2) and Anthony Walsh.

Lattin’s only reply was a Paul Ryan point as Kilsheelan never looked like surrendering their lead as they won by 0-12 to 1-4. The half back line of Christy, Jimmy and Tommy Ryan were the spring board of this success. There was other fine performances from John & Anthony Walsh, Pierce Larkin, Michael Mc Hugh, David Power and Jim Healy.

The team lined out the same as the South Final and the Scorers were: Michael Mc Hugh 0-6, David Power 0-2, Pierce Larkin 0-2, Eoin Ryan (B) and Anthony Walsh 0-1 each.

Lattin-Cullen’s scorers were: James Breen 1-0, Paul Ryan 0-3 and Billy Condon 0-1.

Excitement mounted in the week preceding the Final. The last time the Club won an Adult County Title was when they defeated Ardfinnan in the Senior Football in 1972. For this generation of players and even our older players this was a new experience. Our mentors left no stone unturned in order to have the team fully focused for the task that lay ahead. Our opponents on this momentous occasion were Gortnahoe and the venue was Cashel.

A superb performance in the second half by Kilsheelan-Kilcash ensured that the trophy would be on its way to the little village.  Their ability to move the ball at a fast pace ensured a large number of scoreable chances that eventually paid off. They had the advantage of a stiff breeze and started off by scoring five points in a row in the opening quarter and played some direct attractive football in the process. Forwards Michael McHugh Pierce Larkin, Senan O’Halloran and Eoin Ryan (B) combined well.  It could have been more as they hit six wides in that period. Despite being on the back pedal for most of the first quarter, the losers settled down and had five impressive scores in succession. Full forward Paul Hanrahan set them on their way. They had further points from Patrick Phelan and Pat Skehan while Hanrahan added two more from frees leaving the sides all square. Gortnahoe continued to press strongly and on a number of occasions the Kilsheelan defence lived dangerously as Gortnahoe came close to finding the net. As half time approached Kilsheelan regained their composure and scored two priceless points. The scorers were Pierce Larkin and Michael Mc Hugh from a free to give Kilsheelan an 0-7 to 0-5 lead at the break.

Facing the wind in the second half Kilsheelan showed their true grit and determination. This paid off when Anthony Walsh and Pierce Larkin got through for points. Gortnahoe were now struggling in several departments. Pat Skehan stemmed the tide when he pointed for them. Kilsheelan went six points ahead, thanks to three lovely scores struck by the impressive Michael Mc Hugh. Kilsheelan mentors made a number of astute moves and also the introduction of Jim Healy quickly paid dividends. Kilsheelan were now on song with their defence watertight. This can be best exemplified by the fact that they kept their opponents to scoring just three points in the second half. Entering the final quarter Gortnahoe kept in touch with a point form John Coleman. Two minutes from the end of normal time Kilsheelan were not to be denied. Good persistence by Jim Healy paid off as he passed the ball to Pierce Larkin and with excellent cross found Pa Walsh and he punched to the net. Gortnahoe did manage one more point in injury time by Pat Skehan.

Deep into injury time a large number of players from both sides engaged in a free for all. Unfortunately for Kilsheelan their goal scorer Pa Walsh was issued a red card. Prior to that incident the few cautions given by the referee were for fairly minor offences as both sides went about their task in a sporting manner. Shortly after that the referee blew the final whistle much to the delight of the players and their large number of supporters. In the end Kilsheelan were deserving winners.  While some players were more prominent than others but on this momentous occasion we salute each member of the panel on their history making achievement. It should also be pointed out that this was their first ever Title in this grade. Special mention must also go to Jim Healy, Michael Power and Tommy Lonergan for their expertise in securing this latest success.

After the match the Vice Chairman of the County Board John Costigan presented the Cup to the victorious Captain Johnny Walsh. From there on it was a case of “let the celebrations begin”.

KILSHEELAN-KILCASH: Stephen Mc Grath, Niall Walsh, Oisin O’ Cuinneagan, Peter O’Connell, Christy Ryan, Jimmy Ryan, Tommy Ryan, Johnny Walsh, Anthony Walsh 0-1, Michael Mc Hugh 0-7, Pierce Larkin 0-2, Pa Walsh 1-0, Eoin Ryan (B), David Power and Senan O’Halloran 0-2.

SUBS: Jim Healy for S O’Halloran and Edmond Walsh for E Ryan.

GORTNAHOE-GLENGOOLE: David Mockler, Darren O’Donoghue, Johnny Guilfoyle, P J Campion, Joseph Hogan, Michael Heffernan, Conor Teehan, Niall Teehan, Jeff Brennan, Pat Skehan 0-3, William Coleman, Patrick Phelan 0-1, Ogie Long, Paul Hanrahan 0-3 and John Coleman 0-1.

SUBS: Paul Horan for P J Campion, Keith Holohan for P Phelan and Jamie Long for J Guilfoyle.



















Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here